Kinetics of Microcracking and Dilatation in Polycrystalline Ice
The paper presents a micromechanically based, structure sensitive constitutive equation for creep and dilatation for uniaxial stress application. The model can be applied for constant stress as well as constant strain-rate loading conditions. It is based on intragranular dislocation creep enhanced by grain-facet size cracks produced during deformation by the embrittlement process that is caused by an intergranular sliding mechanism. Incorporation of the kinetics of microcracking activity, enhancement of the matrix creep by these cracks and the associated generation of void volume is the foundation of the theory.
KeywordsAxial Strain Volumetric Strain Constant Stress Crack Density Minimum Creep Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker, T.H.W., Jones, S.J. and Parameswaran, V.R. 1981. Confined and unconfined compression tests on frozen sands. The Roger J.E. Brown Memorial Volume, Proc. 4th Canadian Permafrost Conference, Calgary, Alberta, March 2–6, Published by N.R.C. Canada, pp. 387–393.Google Scholar
- Sinha, N.K. 1984b. Delayed elastic model for initiation and accumulation of creep cavitation at high temperatures. Advances in Fracture Research, Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Fracture (ICF6), Pergamon Press, Oxford, Vol. 3, pp. 2295–2302.Google Scholar
- Sinha, N.K. 1987. Effective Poisson’s ratio of isotropic ice. Proceedings 6th International Symposium Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (ASME), Houston, Texas, USA, 1–5 March, Vol. 4, pp. 189–195.Google Scholar
- Sinha, N.K. 1989b. Ice and steel - a comparison of creep and failure. Mechanics of Creep Brittle Materials - 1, Proc. Euromech - 239, 15–17 August, 1988, Leicester, U.K., Edited by A.C.F. Cocks and A.R.S. Ponter, Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, pp. 201–212.Google Scholar
- Sodhi, D.S., and Nakazawa, N. 1988. Results from indentation tests on freshwater ice. Proc. 9th Int. Symp. on Ice, Sapporo, Int. Ass. on Hydraulic Research, Sapporo, Aug. 23–27, Vol. 1, pp. 341–350.Google Scholar
- Stone, B.M., Jordaan, I.J., Jones, S.J. and McKenna, R.F. 1989. Damage of isotropic polycrystalline ice under moderate confining pressures. Proc. 10th Int. Conf. on Port and Ocean Eng. under Arctic Conditions (POAC), Lulea, Sweden, June 12-16, Vol. 1, pp. 408–419.Google Scholar
- St.Lawrence, W.F. and Cole, D.M. 1982. Acoustic emissions from polycrystalline ice. US Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory ( CRREL ), Report 82–21, 15p.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Y. and Carbee, D.L. 1987. Creep and strength behavior of frozen silt in uniaxial compression. US Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory ( CRREL ), Report 87–10, 67p.Google Scholar