Regulation of Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Development: Antibody-Perturbation Studies
The differentiation of oligodendrocytes (OL) and their elaboration of myelin sheaths is a crucial event of brain development. The resultant saltatory nerve conduction allows for dramatic savings in energy consumption and space utilization. Disruption of myelinogenesis causes serious neurological deficits, many with chronic implications (Morell, 1984).
KeywordsCholesterol Myeloma Galactose Monogalactosyldiglyceride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bansal R, Warrington AE, Gard AL., Ranscht B, Pfeiffer SE (1989) Multiple and novel specificities of monoclonal antibodies 01, 04 and R-mAb used in the analysis of oligodendrocyte development. J Neurosci Res 24 (#4), in press.Google Scholar
- Gard AL, Bansal R, Pfeiffer SE (1989a) Developmental phenotype of late-stage oligodendrocyte progenitors in vivo. Trans Amer Soc Neurochem 20: 248 (abstr)Google Scholar
- Gard, AL, Gonye G, Pfeiffer SE (1989b) Oligodendroglia survival factor from primary heart culture. Soc Neurosci Abstr 15: 709 (abstr #287.10).Google Scholar
- Levi G, Aloisi, F, Wilkin GP (1987) Differentiation of cerebellar bipotential glial precursors into oligodendrocytes in primary culture: Developmental profile of surface antigens and mitotic activity. J Neurosci Res 18: 407–417.Google Scholar
- MorelI P, editor (1984): Myelin. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Pfeiffer SE (1984) Oligodendrocyte development in culture systems. in: Oligodendroglia, Advances in Neurochemistry, vol. 5 1984, edited by WT Norton, pp. 233–298. Plenum Press, New York/London.Google Scholar
- Pfeiffer SE and Gard AL (1988): Biochemical, immunological, and molecular cell-type specific markers of the central nervous system. in: Advances in Neuro-oncology 1988, edited by P. L. Kornblith and M. D. Walker, pp. 3–40. Futura, Mount Kisco, NY.Google Scholar
- Singh H, Pfeiffer SE (1985) Myelin-associated galactolipids in primary cultures from dissociated fetal rat brain: Biosynthesis, accumulation and cell surface expression. J Neurochem 45: 1371–1381.Google Scholar
- Sommer I, Schachner M (1981) Monoclonal antibodies (01 to 04) to oligodendrocyte cell surfaces: An immunocytological study in the central nervous system. Dev Biol 83: 311–327.Google Scholar