Flux Creep and the Crossover to Flux Flow in the Resistivity of High-Tc Superconductors
A model for the resistive behavior of high temperature superconductors in a field is presented, including both flux flow and the possibility of long jumps or cascades of flux lines in flux creep. These mechanisms help to understand characteristic features of the resistivity, reported earlier in YBaCuO crystals and films, especially the large resistive prefactors in the activated regime. The importance of including the temperature dependence of the activation energy in the data analysis is emphasized. The crossover between flux creep and flux flow may explain the knee in the resistivity-vs.-temperature curves observed in much earlier work and particularly clearly in new work on YBaCuO crystals reported here.
KeywordsHigh Temperature Superconductor Critical Current Density Flux Line Flux Flow Attempt Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. K. Worthington, Y. Yeshurun, A. P. Malozemoff, R. Yandrofski, F. Holtzberg and T. Dinger, J. de Physique, Colloque C8, Suppl. 12, 2093 (1989).Google Scholar
- E. Zeldov, N. M. Amer, G. Koren, A. Gupta, R. J. Gambino and M. W. McElfresh, Phys. Rev. Lett., June 26, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.J. D. Hettinger, A. G. Swanson, W. J. Skocpol, J. S. Brooks, J. M. Graybeal, P. M. Mankiewich, R. E. Howard, B. L. Straughn and E. G. Burkhardt, to be published.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Tinkham, Introduction to Superconductivity ( McGraw-Hill Inc., New York 1975 ).Google Scholar
- 17.R. J. Soulen and S. A. Wolf, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 34, 846 (1989).Google Scholar
- R. H. Koch, V. Foglietti, W. J. Gallagher, G. Koren, A. Gupta and M. P. A. Fisher, to be published.Google Scholar
- 23.N. C. Yeh, Phys. Rev. B, to be published.Google Scholar
- 25.C. W. Hagen and R. Griessen, in Studies of High Temperature Superconductors, ed. A. V. Narlikar (Nova Science Publishers, New York 1988), to be published.Google Scholar
- 26.K. Kitazawa, S. Kambe and M. Naito, in Strong Correlation and Superconductivity, ed. H. Fukuyama, S. Maekawa and A. P. Malozemoff, Springer Ser. Solid State Sci. (Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1989), to be published.Google Scholar