Nature of the Electronic States near the Fermi Level in High-Tc Superconductors: High-Energy Spectroscopic Evidence
Based on the results of recent photoemission and other spectroscopic studies on pure and doped Cu and Ni oxides, the origin of the electronic states near the Fermi level (EF) in high-Tc superconductors is discussed. It is pointed out that the location and symmetry of localized holes or electrons at low doping levels may not be necessarily the same as those of itinerant carriers responsible for superconductivity. The singlet state 1A1 of the CuOn local cluster or the impurity Anderson model is likely to be the origin of itinerant carriers in the doped Cu oxides.
KeywordsFermi Liquid Photoemission Spectrum Dope Hole Impurity Anderson Model Kondo Peak
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For recent review, see J. C. Fuggle, J. Fink, and N. Nucker, Int. J. Mod. Phys. B (in press); G. Wendin, Phys. Scr. (in press).Google Scholar
- Z.-X. Shen, J. W. Allen, J.-J. Yeh, J.-S. Kang, W. Ellis, W. Spicer, I. Lindau, M. B. Maple, Y. D. Dalichaouch, and M. S. Torikachvili, ibid 36, 8414 (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.H. Eskes L. H. Tjeng, and G. A. Sawatzky, Phys. Rev. B (in press).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Okada and A. Kotani, to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.The E state is indeed the lowest ionization state of NiS [A. Fujimori, K. Terakura, M. Taniguchi, S. Ogawa, S. Suga, M. Matoba, and S. Anzai, Phys. Rev. B 37, 3109 (1988)], which is traced back to the strong sd interaction between the Ni 3d and S 3s orbitals.Google Scholar
- 18.A. Fujimori, Y. Tokura, H. Eisaki, H. Takagi, S. Uchida, and M. Sato, Phys. Rev. B (submitted).Google Scholar
- 21.N. Kosugi, private communication.Google Scholar
- 22.A. Fujimori, Y. Tokura, H. Eisaki, H. Takagi, S. Uchida, and E. Takayama-Muromachi, Phys. Rev. B (submitted).Google Scholar
- 23.S. Massida, N. Hamada, J. Yu, and A. J. Freeman, preprint; K. Takegahara and T. Kasuya, Solid State Commun. (in press).Google Scholar
- 26.P. A. Lee, T. M. Rice, J. W. Serene, L. J. Sham, and J. W. Wilkins, Comments Cond. Mat. Phys. 12, 99 (1986).Google Scholar
- 29.F. C. Zhang and T. M. Rice, B 37, 3759 (1988)Google Scholar