Inspection Strategies for Concrete Bridges
In this paper an optimal inspection strategy for concrete bridges based on periodic routine and detailed inspections is presented.
The failure mode considered is corrosion of the reinforcement due to chlorides. A simple modelling of the corrosion and of the inspection strategy is presented. The optimal inspection strategy is determined from an optimization problem, where the design variables are time intervals between detailed inspections and the concrete cover. The strategy is illustrated on a simple structure, namely a reinforced concrete beam.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bridge Evaluation, Repair and Rehabilitation. Proceedings of the 1st US-European Workshop. Editors A. S. Nowak & E. Absi. The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, 1987.Google Scholar
- Lemarié, P. Bridge Management and Maintenance in France. In , pp. 51–57.Google Scholar
- De Buck, J. Bridge Maintenance in Belgium. In , pp. 63–98.Google Scholar
- Rostam, S. Bridge Monitoring and Maintenance Strategy. In , pp. 146–153.Google Scholar
- Zichner, T. Disorder - Repair - Strengthening of Prestressed Concrete Bridges based on the Inspection of 43 Valley-Bridges. In , pp. 168–179.Google Scholar
- Favre, R. Methodology for the Monitoring of Bridges. In , pp. 197–208.Google Scholar
- Malisardi, L. & Nebbia, G. Supervision of Bridge and Tunnel Structures. In , pp. 219–233.Google Scholar
- Vassie, P. Reinforcement Corrosion and the Durability of Concrete Bridges. Proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs., Part 1, Vol. 76, 1984, pp. 713–723.Google Scholar
- Andersen, K. & Lyck, S. Optimal Repair Strategies for Concrete Bridges (in Danish). M.Sc. Thesis, University of Aalborg, 1988.Google Scholar
- Thoft-Christensen, P. & Sørensen, J. D. Integrated Reliability-Based Optimal Design of Structures. Proc. IFIP WG 7.5 Conference on Reliability and Optimization of Structural Systems. Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Engineering, Vol. 33, 1987, pp. 385–398.Google Scholar
- Schittkowski, K. NLPQL: A FORTRAN Subroutine Solving Constrained Non-linear Programming Problems. Annals of Operations Research, 1986.Google Scholar