Pressure-Strain Rate Events in Homogeneous Turbulent Shear Flow
A detailed study of the intercomponent energy transfer process by the pressure-strain-rate tensor in homogeneous turbulent shear flow is presented. The work continues a program of enquiry, initiated by Brasseur & Lee , into the kinematic structure and dynamic processes associated with local, random events underlying statistical quantities modeled in second-order closures. Event refers to a local concentration of the quantity in an instantaneous turbulent field. The aim is to describe classes of local events with similar characteristics,their interrelationships, and their relative kinematic and dynamic significance. Of particular interest is the structure and overall contribution of the most powerful events relative to the underlying low-level turbulent field.
KeywordsVortex Vorticity Hunt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.G. Brasseur, M. Lee: In Proc. 1987 Summer Program, Center for Turbulence Research Report CTR-S87, NASA-Ames Research Center, pp. 165–178 (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.J. Kim, private communication (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.M.J. Lee, J. Kim, P. Moin: Sixth Symp. on Turb. Shear Flows, Toulouse, France, Sept 7–9 (1987), pp. 22.6.1–22. 6. 6.Google Scholar
- 6.M.J. Lee, W.C. Reynolds: Dept. Mech. Engng. Rep. TF-24, Stanford University, Stanford, CA (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.R.S. Rogallo: NASA Tech. Memo. 81315 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.M.M. Rogers, P. Moin, W.C. Reynolds: Dept. Mech. Engng. Rep. TF-25, Stanford University, Stanford, CA (1986).Google Scholar