The Shubnikov-de Haas Effect: A Powerful Tool for Characterizing Semiconductors
A review is given of the principles involved in using the Shubnikov-de Haas (SdH) effect to characterize three-dimensional (3D) properties of semiconductors. Extensive studies of the SdH effect have been carried out on a wide variety of semiconductors over the last three decades that prove its scientific and technological usefulness. Newly created artificially structured narrow gap materials grown by molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) often have 2D properties which can also be investigated by the SdH effect. Examples are given for MBE grown HgTe single layer films and HgTe-CdTe superlattices.
KeywordsMolecular Beam Epitaxy Landau Level Band Parameter Small Effective Mass Band Nonparabolicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. S. Blakemore, Semiconductor Statistics (Pergamon, New York, 1962), Chap. 1, pp. 48–53.Google Scholar
- 3.I. M. Lifshitz and A. M. Kosevich, Soy. Phys.-JETP 2, 636 (1956).Google Scholar
- 6.A. E. Stephens, J. R. Sybert, D. G. Seiler, and H. J. Mackey, in Proc. 14th Int. Conf. Low Temp. Phys., Helsinki, 1975 (American Elsevier, New York 1975), p. 79.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Hajdu and G. Landwehr, in Strong and Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields and Their Applications (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1985), p. 17.Google Scholar
- 12.R. J. Justice, D. G. Seiler, W. Zawadzki, R. J. Koestner, M. W. Goodwin, and M. A. Kinch, to be published in J. Vac. Sci. Technol., July/August 1988.Google Scholar
- 14.M. W. Goodwin, M. A. Kinch, R. J. Koestner, M. C. Chen, D. G. Seiler, and R. J. Justice, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A5, 3110 (1987).Google Scholar
- 16.C. A. Hoffman, J R Meyer, E. R. Youngdale, J. R. Lindle, F. J. Bartoli, K. A. Harris, J. W. Cook, Jr., and J. F. Schetzina, 1987 MCT Workshop, to be published in J. Vac. Sci. Technol., July/August 1988.Google Scholar