Resonant-Subband Landau-Level Coupling in a Two-Dimensional Electronic System: Depolarization Effect and Dependence on Carrier Density
For a quantitative understanding of the properties of a two-dimensional electron gas the exact knowledge of subband energies and wavefunctions is very important .Experimentally one usually applies optical techniques such as Raman scattering [2,3] and resonant-subband-Landau-level-coupling (RSLC) spectroscopy [4–6]. Using Raman scattering the presence of strong bandgap radiation causes quasi-accumulation conditions and fixes the two-dimensional (2D) carrier density Ns. So far RSLC was investigated as a function of bandgap illumination [5,6] or back-gate voltage , which both strongly influence the depletion charge N depl of an Al x Ga 1−x As - GaAs heterostructure. In particular it was not clear whether the energies, determined from RSLC experiments, are depolarization shifted as in charge density excitation experiments . Therefore it was difficult to compare experiments and results of self-consistent calculations [7,8] in a satisfactory manner Here we prepared modulation doped Al x Ga 1−x As - GaAs heterostructures with front-gates which allowed us to change N, in a controlled and reproducible way [9,10] .This gave us the possibility to study RSLC as a function of Ns,while all other parameters remained essentially unchanged. The agreement between our experimental results and a self-consistent calculation is excellent and clearly reveals that the energies, determined from RSLC experiments, are depolarization shifted.
KeywordsGaAs Reso NiCr
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.A. D. Wieck, J. C. Maan, U. Merkt, J. P. Kotthaus, K. Ploog, and G. Weimann: Phys. Rev. B 35, 4145 (1987)Google Scholar
- 7.F. Stern and S. Das Sarma: Phys. Rev. B 30, 840 (1984)Google Scholar
- 10.K. Ensslin, D. Heitmann, H. Sigg, and K. Ploog: Phys. Rev. B 36, 8177 (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.Al2O3 suppresses leakage currents, idea of J. RichterGoogle Scholar
- 14.T. Ando: Phys. Rev. B 19, 2106 (1979)Google Scholar
- 15.T. Ando: Z. Physik B 26, 263 (1977)Google Scholar