Resonant-Subband Landau-Level Coupling in a Two-Dimensional Electronic System: Depolarization Effect and Dependence on Carrier Density
For a quantitative understanding of the properties of a two-dimensional electron gas the exact knowledge of subband energies and wavefunctions is very important .Experimentally one usually applies optical techniques such as Raman scattering [2,3] and resonant-subband-Landau-level-coupling (RSLC) spectroscopy [4–6]. Using Raman scattering the presence of strong bandgap radiation causes quasi-accumulation conditions and fixes the two-dimensional (2D) carrier density Ns. So far RSLC was investigated as a function of bandgap illumination [5,6] or back-gate voltage , which both strongly influence the depletion charge N depl of an Al x Ga 1−x As - GaAs heterostructure. In particular it was not clear whether the energies, determined from RSLC experiments, are depolarization shifted as in charge density excitation experiments . Therefore it was difficult to compare experiments and results of self-consistent calculations [7,8] in a satisfactory manner Here we prepared modulation doped Al x Ga 1−x As - GaAs heterostructures with front-gates which allowed us to change N, in a controlled and reproducible way [9,10] .This gave us the possibility to study RSLC as a function of Ns,while all other parameters remained essentially unchanged. The agreement between our experimental results and a self-consistent calculation is excellent and clearly reveals that the energies, determined from RSLC experiments, are depolarization shifted.
KeywordsCarrier Density Cyclotron Resonance Depolarization Effect Gate Area Subband Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.A. D. Wieck, J. C. Maan, U. Merkt, J. P. Kotthaus, K. Ploog, and G. Weimann: Phys. Rev. B 35, 4145 (1987)Google Scholar
- 7.F. Stern and S. Das Sarma: Phys. Rev. B 30, 840 (1984)Google Scholar
- 10.K. Ensslin, D. Heitmann, H. Sigg, and K. Ploog: Phys. Rev. B 36, 8177 (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.Al2O3 suppresses leakage currents, idea of J. RichterGoogle Scholar
- 14.T. Ando: Phys. Rev. B 19, 2106 (1979)Google Scholar
- 15.T. Ando: Z. Physik B 26, 263 (1977)Google Scholar