Hot Electron Magnetotransport in AlxGa1−xAs-GaAs Samples of Different Geometry
The size dependence of the magnetotransport properties of Al x Ga 1−x As-GaAs heterojunctions has been studied in high electric and magnetic fields. For the breakdown of the quantum Hall effect an increase of the critical drift velocity with decreasing sample width was found in Hall bar geometries, whereas in Corbino geometries a slight decrease was observed. In the regime of the breakdown step-like structures were observed for all sample sizes. A new instability was seen for filling factors of v < 2 at electric fields of ≈ 200V/cm.
KeywordsFilling Factor High Magnetic Field Lateral Diffusion Quantum Hall Effect Sample Width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Ebert, K. von Klitzing, K. Ploog, and G. Weimann, J. Phys. C16, 5441 (1983)Google Scholar
- 2.L. Bliek, G. Hein, V. Kose, J. Niemeyer, G. Weimann, and W. Schlapp, in High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductor Physics G. Landwehr (Ed.), Springer Berlin (1987), p. 113Google Scholar
- 5.P. G. N. de Vegvar, A. M. Chang, G. Timp, P. M. Mankiewich, J. E. Cunningham, R. Behringer, and R. E. Howard, Phys. Rev. B36, 9366 (1987)Google Scholar
- 8.F. Kuchar, G. Bauer, G. Weimann, and H. Burkhard, in Proc. 17th Int. Conf. Phys. Semicond., World Scientific Singapore (1984), p. 275Google Scholar
- 9.L. Eaves, and F. W. Sheard, in High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductor Physics, G. Landwehr ( Ed. ), Springer Berlin (1987), p. 118Google Scholar