Preliminary Characterization of a Virus Causing Infectious Anemia Among Stocks of Salmonid Fish in the Western United States
Since 1982, anemias occurring in stocks of yearling coho (Oncorhvnchus kisutch) and chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) have been associated with serious losses at hatcheries in the Pacific Northwest, USA. The anemia is often accompanied by infections with external fungus (e.g. Saprolegnia) or the bacterial pathogens Cytophaga psychrophila or Renibacterium salmoninarum (Holt and Rohovec 1984, Leek 1987). The losses associated with the anemia are thought to be caused by these secondary infections.
KeywordsHepatitis Agar Chloroform Anemia Penicillin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fenner F, Bachmann PA, Gibbs EPJ, Murphy FA, Studdert MJ, White DO (1987) Veterinary Virology. Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- Fields BN, Knipe DM, Channock RM, Melnick JL, Roizman B, Shope RE (eds) (1985) Virology. Raven, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Holt R, Rohovec J (1984) Anemia of coho salmon in Oregon. AFS Fish Health Sec Newsl 12: 4Google Scholar
- Landolt ML, MacMillan JR, Patterson M (1977) Detection of an intra-erythrocytic virus in rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). Fish Health News 6: 4–6Google Scholar
- Piacentini SC, Fryer JL, Rohovec JS (1988) Epizootiology of erythrocytic inclusion body syndrome. In: Abstracts, International Conference on Fish Health, Vancouver, Canada p 154Google Scholar
- Rovozzo GC, Burke CN (1973) A manual of basic virological techniques. Prentice-Hall, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Wedemeyer GA, Yasutake WT (1977) Clinical methods for the assessment of the effects of environmental stress on fish health. USFWS Tech Paper #89, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Wolf K (1984) Fish viruses: Their biology, classification, hosts, pathology and control. In: Kurstak E, Marusyk RG (eds) Control of Virus Diseases, Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Yasutake WT (1986) Standardization of stain used for diagnosing erythrocytic inclusion body syndrome (EIBS). AFS Fish Health Sec Newsl 15: 7Google Scholar