Preliminary Design of a Filament Wound Pressure Vessel: A Coupled Decision Support Problem
We view design as the process of creating knowledge about a product and manufacturing as the process of using this knowledge to create the product. The principal goal of this paper is to show the integration of information from the domain of manufacturing (including material selection) and simple analysis techniques in preliminary design. This is effectively accomplished within the framework of the Decision Support Problem Technique by formulating and solving coupled decision support problems.
KeywordsPressure Vessel Fiber Orientation Material Selection Preliminary Design Fiber Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mistree, F., Karandikar, H. M., Shupe, J. A. and Bascaran, E. B., Computer-based Design Synthesis: An Approach to Problem Solving, Springer-Verlag, (projected 1989).Google Scholar
- Mistree, F., Fuchs, W. J., Karandikar, H. M. and Srinivasan, R., Design of Composite Material Systems Using the DSP Technique, Systems Design Laboratory, Dept, of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Houston, Report to the Shell Development Co., Westhollow Research Center, Houston, Texas, October 1987.Google Scholar
- Vanderplaats, G. N., Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design; With Applications, McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1984.Google Scholar
- Ignizio, J. P., Goal Programming and Extensions, Lexington Books, D. C. Heath and Co., 1976.Google Scholar
- Ignizio, J. P., Introduction to Linear Goal Programming, Sage Publications Inc., 1985.Google Scholar
- Mistree, F. and Kamal, S. Z., DSIDES: Decision Support in the Design of Engineering Systems, Systems Design Laboratory, Dept, of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Houston, Sept. 1985.Google Scholar
- Mistree, F. and Hughes, O. F., Adaptive Linear Programmings An Approach for Solving Multiobjective Decision Support Problems, Systems Design Laboratory Report, Dept, of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Houston, Houston, Texas, November 1987.Google Scholar
- Bascaran, E., and Mistree, F., “Design of Hierarchical Thermal Systems”, Systems Design Laboratory Report, Dept, of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Houston, July 1988.Google Scholar
- Darms, S. J., “Optimum Design for Filament-wound Rocket-motor Cases”, Report No. ASD-TDR-63-396, Wright-Patterson AFB, April 1963.Google Scholar