Modelling a Belt Conveyor
The mathematical model of a belt conveyor expresses quantitatively the relation of the materials-machine parameters. Also it expresses the mathematical relation among the size variables, the operation and the capacity of the conveyor. Therefore, there is the ability of comparison among conveyors of various sizes and of experimenting on models in laboratory environment corresponding to real structures which may extend even for kilometers.
The purpose of the present work is the creation of a mathematical model to simulate a belt conveyor, paying attention to various variables and parameters such as size, function and conveying capacity. Some simplifications are used for the relations among variables. For the present case, a belt conveyor is chosen with three equal — size idlers.
The creation of the mathematical model is based on the theorem of ni terms or Vaschy-Buckingham theorem and its solution is approached by numerical methods. The coefficients of the equation are determined by a suitable program written in BASIC.
The extent of application of either experimental and real data on mathematical model of simulation is constrained by the relative error which-in order to be acceptable-must not exceed 5%.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Spinakovsky, V. Dyachkov, “Conveyors and Related Equipment”, Mir Publishers, Moscow.Google Scholar
- 2.Drakatos A.P., “Materials Handling Equipment”, University of Patras, 1984.Google Scholar
- 3.Drakatos A.P., “The Application of Similarity Methods During the Experimental Research on Soil Compaction Machines”, PH.D., Thesis, Thessaloniki, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.Manatakis E. K., Drakatos P.A., “A Statistical Analysis as a Criterion of Soil-Machine System”., Transactions of the ASME vol.107,Sept.,1985.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Murphy,”Similitude in Engineering” Ronald Press Company, N.Y. 1950, p.36.Google Scholar