Optimum Storage Layout in Flexible Manufacturing
Two layout problems in flexible manufacturing have been considered. First, the layout of Work In Process (WIP) storage area has been modelled as a generalized assignment problem. Secondly, the optimum location is investigated for the pick up point of the WIP storage unit on a material handling network. Algorithms haye been provided for efficient solution of these two problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Afentakis, P., “A Model for Layout Design in FMS,” pp. 127-139 in Flexible Manufacturing Systems; Methods and Studies, A. Kusiak (Ed.)/ North-Holland, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.Domschke, W. and A. Drexl, Location and Layout Planning; An International Bibliography. Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Francis, R.L. and J.A. White, Facility Layout and Location, Prentice-Hall, 1974.Google Scholar
- 5.Heragu, S.S. and A. Kusiak, “Machine Layout Problem in Flexible Manufacturing Systems,” Working Paper 08/86, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Manitoba, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Jayaraman, R., “GALOP/2D—A Graphical System for Work—Cell Layout Evaluation,” Research Report RC 11148, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Kiran, A.S. and B.C. Tansel, “Optimum Pickup Point Location in Flexible Manufacturing Systems,” Working Paper 87-06, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engr., University of Southern California, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Kusiak, A., “Material Handling in Flexible Manufacturing Systems,” Material Flow, 2, pp. 79-95, 1985.Google Scholar
- 10.Sarin, S.C. and W.E. Wilhelm, “Prototype Models for Two-Dimensional Layout Design of Robot Systems,” HE Transactions, 16, No. 3, pp. 106–125, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Tansel,B.C. and A.S. Kiran. “Optimum Storage Location in Flexible Manufacturing Cells,” Working Paper 87-05, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engr., University of Southern California, 1987.Google Scholar
- 12.Wilhelm, W.E., M. Kalkunte, C. Cash, “A Modelling Approach to Aid in Designing Robotized Manufacturing Cells,” Working Paper 1986-002, Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, The Ohio State University, 1986.Google Scholar