Optimum Storage Layout in Flexible Manufacturing
Two layout problems in flexible manufacturing have been considered. First, the layout of Work In Process (WIP) storage area has been modelled as a generalized assignment problem. Secondly, the optimum location is investigated for the pick up point of the WIP storage unit on a material handling network. Algorithms haye been provided for efficient solution of these two problems.
KeywordsFlexible Manufacturing System Material Handling Storage Area Layout Problem Unit Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Afentakis, P., “A Model for Layout Design in FMS,” pp. 127-139 in Flexible Manufacturing Systems; Methods and Studies, A. Kusiak (Ed.)/ North-Holland, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.Domschke, W. and A. Drexl, Location and Layout Planning; An International Bibliography. Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Francis, R.L. and J.A. White, Facility Layout and Location, Prentice-Hall, 1974.Google Scholar
- 5.Heragu, S.S. and A. Kusiak, “Machine Layout Problem in Flexible Manufacturing Systems,” Working Paper 08/86, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Manitoba, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Jayaraman, R., “GALOP/2D—A Graphical System for Work—Cell Layout Evaluation,” Research Report RC 11148, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Kiran, A.S. and B.C. Tansel, “Optimum Pickup Point Location in Flexible Manufacturing Systems,” Working Paper 87-06, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engr., University of Southern California, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Kusiak, A., “Material Handling in Flexible Manufacturing Systems,” Material Flow, 2, pp. 79-95, 1985.Google Scholar
- 10.Sarin, S.C. and W.E. Wilhelm, “Prototype Models for Two-Dimensional Layout Design of Robot Systems,” HE Transactions, 16, No. 3, pp. 106–125, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Tansel,B.C. and A.S. Kiran. “Optimum Storage Location in Flexible Manufacturing Cells,” Working Paper 87-05, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engr., University of Southern California, 1987.Google Scholar
- 12.Wilhelm, W.E., M. Kalkunte, C. Cash, “A Modelling Approach to Aid in Designing Robotized Manufacturing Cells,” Working Paper 1986-002, Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, The Ohio State University, 1986.Google Scholar