Model Management Systems for Operations Research: A Prospectus
As modeling becomes more important in our business and decision-making activities, the need for versatile modeling systems becomes more intense. The prevailing paradigm of DSS views model management as one of the three main components of a DSS . The notion of a model management system (MMS) to support this function has been around for 10 years or so , yet the development of MMS’s has occurred largely on an ad hoc basis. No MMS on a scale equivalent to existing database management systems (DBMS) currently exists.
KeywordsMigration Transportation Expense Per_id Encapsulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blanning, R.H. A relational theory of model management. Working Paper No. 85-106, Owen Graduate School of Management, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Bonczek, R.H., Holsapple, C.W. and Whinston, A.B. Foundations of Decision Support Systems. Academic Press, Orlando, FL., 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Dahl, O.J., Myhrhaug, B. and Nygaard, K. Simul 67—Common base language. Norsk Regnesentral, Oslo, Norway, May 1968.Google Scholar
- 7.Dolk, D.R. and Konsynski, B.R. Model management in organizations. Information and Management 9, 1 (August 1985), 35–47.Google Scholar
- 9.Dolk, D.R. Model management and structured modeling: The role of an information resource dictionary system. Presented at Mini-Conference on Structured Modeling, UCLA, August 20-22, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Farn, C.K. An integrated information system architecture based on structured modeling. Ph.D. Thesis, Graduate School of Management, UCLA, 1985.Google Scholar
- 14.Geoffrion, A.M. Modeling approaches and systems related to structured modeling. Working Paper No. 339, Graduate School of Management, UCLA, February 1987.Google Scholar
- 16.Ho, L., Nygard, K. and Shapiro, L. Data base management systems as solvers in model management systems. Computer Science/Operations Research Dept., North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND, 1987.Google Scholar
- 18.Lenard, M. An object-oriented approach to model management. Proceedings of the 20th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January 1987.Google Scholar
- 20.Sprague, R.H. and Carlson, E.D. Building Effective Decision Support Systems. Prentice-Hall, 1982.Google Scholar
- 21.Will, H.J. Model management systems. In Information Systems and Organization Structure. E. Grochla and N. Syzperski, Eds. Walter deGruyter, Berlin, 1975, 467–482.Google Scholar