Experiments on Nonlinear Effects in Ground-Surface Vibration
Results are presented of an experimental study of the nonlinear evolution and interaction of sinusoidal ground-surface vibration. The method is the same as used in acoustics: two vertical vibrators — sources of vertical harmonic excitation — were installed on the ground and driven separately and simultaneously, the resulting surface motion being picked up by an array of 8 vertical seismometers placed at various distances from the vibrators. The seismometer signals, representing the vertical component of the ground (particle) velocity, were recorded, then digitized and Fourier analysed. The novelty of the experiments in comparison with the similar work done in the USSR lies in the use of very small vibrators. This permitted generation of vibration with Mach numbers both larger and smaller than 10−5 — the strain level regarded in geomechanics as the boundary between linear and nonlinear soil behaviour.
In addition to harmonic generation and nonlinear interaction — effects observed earlier by other workers — the obtained data indicate the phenomena of self-modulation and Fermi-Pasta-Ulam recurrence in ground-surface vibration of sufficiently small amplitude.
KeywordsAttenuation Soliton Coherence Trench Geophysics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Grootenhuis, A.O. Awojobi: Symposium — Vibration in Civil Engineering, British Nat. Sec., Int. Assoc. Earthquake Eng. ( Imperial College, London 1965 ).Google Scholar
- 2.A.V. Nikolaev: Izv. Earth Physics 2 (Moskva 1967 )Google Scholar
- 3.K. Ishihara: In Numerical Methods in Geomechanics, ed. by R. Dungar, G.N. Pande, J.A. Studer ( A.A.Balkema, Rotterdam 1982 )Google Scholar
- 4.V.S. Solov’ev: In Problemy Nelinejnoj Sejsmiki, ed. by A.V. Nikolaev, I.N. Galkin ( Nauka, Moskva 1987 )Google Scholar
- 5.P.P. Dimitriu: Doctoral Thesis, Dept. Civil Eng., Tokyo University (Tokyo 1986 )Google Scholar
- 6.P.P. Dimitriu: Phys. Earth Plan. Inter. 50, 74 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.R.G. White, M.E.J. Mannering: J. Soc. Environ. Eng. 14, 3 (1975)Google Scholar
- 10.I.A. Beresnev et al.: Izv. Earth Physics 10 (Moskva 1986 )Google Scholar
- 11.N. Ohbo: Doctoral Thesis. Dept. Civil Eng., Tokyo University (Tokyo 1985 )Google Scholar