Optical Absorption Spectra of Thallous Halides in the Extreme Ultraviolet Region
The Cl L2, 3 and the Tl N6, 7 absorption spectra of T1Cl and the Br M2, 3 and the Tl N6,7 absorption’ spectra of TlBr have been measured at room temperature. In the Cl L2, 3 absorption spectrum, spectral features spread in the region up to 15 ev above the threshold and a huge absorption band follows above it. The absorption intensity is relatively weak near the threshold. The Br M2, 3 absorption is very weak. The decomposed M3 and M2 spectra show a single major peak probably with a second peak on the high energy side. The Tl N6, 7 absorption spectra of T1C1 and TIBr are quite similar to each other, indicating that the corresponding electronic transition is localized on the Tl+ ion. The spin-orbit component bands, N6 and N7, have double peaks at the thresholds and no other fine structure is found. These aspects of the observed spectra are discussed in terms of the localized excitation such as the core exciton formation and the incomplete relaxation caused by the very fast decay of the excited state through the Auger process as well as the delocalized excitation such as the charge transfer transition.
KeywordsChlorine Polypropylene Auger Bromine Halide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Kotani, Y. Toyozawa: In Synchrotron Radiation, Techniques and Applications, ed. by C. Kunz (Springer-Verlag, Berlin and Heidelberg, 1979) Chapt. 4 C.-0. Almbladt, L Hedin: In Handbook on Synchrotron Radiation, ed. by E. E. Koch, D. E. Eastman, Y. Farge, Vol. 1B (North-Holland, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1983) Chapt. 8Google Scholar
- 3.F. Bassani, M. Altarelli: In Handbook on Synchrotron Radiation, ed. by E. E. Koch, D. E. Eastman, Y. Farge, Vol. 1A (North-Holland, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1983) Chapt. 7Google Scholar
- 7.M. Ueta, H. Kanzaki, K. Kobayashi, Y. Toyozawa, E. Hanamura: Excitonic Processes in Solids, Springer Ser. Solid-State Sci., Vol.60 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, Tokyo 1986) Chapt. 7Google Scholar
- 8.M. Inoue, M. Okazaki: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 30, 582 (1971) ibid. 31, 1313 (1971) H. Overhof, J. Trensch: Solid State Commun. 9, 53 (1971) J. Overton, J. P. Hernandez: Phys. Rev. B7, 778 (1973) J. P. Van Dyke, G. A. Samara: Phys. Rev. B11. 4935 (1975) K. Heidrich, W. Stande, J. Treusch, H. Overhof: Solid State Commun. 16, 1043 (1975)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 15.M. Cardona, L. Ley, (eds).: Photoemission in Solids I and II (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1978)Google Scholar