The Multichannel Generalization of Multiple Scattering Theory: Application to the Analysis of Inner Shell X-Ray Spectra of Mixed-Valence Compounds
The study of the electronic and structural properties of matter has received in the recent past a great impulse due to the advent of synchrotron radiation. The unique properties of this radiation source, like its intensity, brilliance, polarization, tunability and collimation, to cite a few, coupled with sophisticated data acquisition techniques have made possible the explosive growth of all kinds of spectroscopic research. In particular inner shell photoemission and photoabsorption spectroscopies have received progressively more and more attention as a source of information about the electronic and structural properties of physical systems. Strangely enough, these high energy spectroscopies have been shown to be able to provide useful information on both the excited as well as the ground state of the systems under investigation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).U. Fano, Phys. Rev. 124,1866 (1961); L.C. Davis and L.A. Feldkamp, Phys. Rev. B15, 2961 (1977); L.C. Davis and L.A. Feldkamp, Phys. Rev. B23,6239 (1981).Google Scholar
- (2).For a recent account of the state of the research in this field see, for example, the section “f-electron compounds” in J. de Phys. 47, Coll. C8, 907-1000 (1987) and references thereinGoogle Scholar
- (4).C.R. Natoli, M. Benfatto, C. Brouder and M. Ruiz-Lopez, to be submitted to Phys. Rev. A; C.R. Natoli, Proceedings of the NATO ASI on X-Ray spectroscopy in atomic and solid state Physics, August 30th-September 12th, 1987. Vimeiro Portugal.Google Scholar
- (5).The problem of exchange is well known among theoritical molecular physicists and quantum chemists. They have devised a wealth of methods to cope with it. For a review see N.F. Lane, Rev. Mod. Phys. 52 29 (1980) and F.A. Gianturco and A. Jane, Phys. Rep. 143, 347 (1986) and references therein.Google Scholar
- (6).C.R. Natoli and M. Benfatto, J. de Phys. 47, Coll. C8,11 (1986).Google Scholar
- (7).J.B. Boyce, R.M. Martin and J.W. Allen “EXAFS and Near Edge Structure”, Springer Series in Chemical Physics 27, 187 (1983).Google Scholar
- (10).O. Gunnarsson and K. Schönhammer, Phys. Rev. B28 4315 (1983); 0. Gunnarsson, K. Schönhammer, J.C. Fuggle, F.U. Hillebrecht, J.M. Esteva, R.C. Karnatak and B. Hillebrand, Phys. Rev. B28, 7330 (1983); J.C. Fuggle, F.U. Hillebrecht, Z. Zolnierek, R. Lässer, C. Freiburg, 0. Gunnarsson and K. Schönhammer, Phys. Rev. B27 7330 (1983).Google Scholar
- (11).A. Filipponi, F. Evangelisti, E. Bernieri and S. Mobilio, poster presented of the X-87 International Conference, 14-18 Sept. 1987, Paris (France).Google Scholar
- (12).G. Krill, J. de Phys. J. de Phys. 47 Coll. C8, 907 (1986); N. Wetta, G. Krill, P. Haen, F. Lapierre, M.F. Ravet, L Godart and F. Holtzeberg, ibidem p. 965.Google Scholar
- (13).E. Beaurepaire, J.P. Kappler, D. Malterre and G. Krill, to be published on Europhysics Letters.Google Scholar