Two-Particle Excitations and Pair Correlations in He-II
In this contribution we are concerned with the role of two-particle excitations in liquid He-II. This has become an important aspect to be understood by microscopic theories of the superfluid since Cowley and Woods /1/ reported in their neutron scattering intensities the observation of a broad distribution whose energy width and intensities are strong functions of the momentum transfer k. This peak was seen in addition to the rather sharp peak usually associated with one phonon scattering. The intensity of the broad maximum rises to about 25K and extends to relatively large(about 80K) energy transfers. Such a broad peak was not altogether an unexpected one. Phenomenological arguments of Miller, Pines and Nozieres /2/ indicate the existence of a broad background.
KeywordsPair Correlation Function Ground State Wave Function Pair Excitation Phenomenological Argument Liquid Structure Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.A. Cowley and A.D.B. Woods: Can.J.Phys. 49, 177 (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.T.J. Greytak and J. Yan: Phys. Rev. Lett. 22, 987 (1969)Google Scholar
- 4.N.M. Blagoveshchenskii, E.B. Dokukin, Zh. A. Kozlov and V.A. Parfenov: JETP Lett. 30,12(1979), ibid 31, 4 (1980)Google Scholar
- 5.K. Ohbayashi and M. Udagawa: Proc. Int. Conf. on Low Temp. Phys - LT 17, ed by U.Eckern, A.Schmidt, W.Weber and H.Wuhi(North-Holland, Amsterdam 1984 ) p. 1201Google Scholar
- 7.H.N. Robkoff, D.A. Ewen and R.B. Hallock: Phys. Rev. Lett. 43, 2006 (1979)Google Scholar
- 13.N. Mihara and R.D. Puff: Phys. Rev. 174, 221 (1968)Google Scholar
- 14.R. Sridhar and R. Vasudevan: Acta. Phys. Pol. A61, 81 (1982)Google Scholar
- 15.R. Sridhar and A. Shanthi: Phys. Rev. 268, 1252 (1982)Google Scholar
- 16.J. Ruvalds and A. Zawadowski: Phys. Rev. Lett. 25, 333 (1970)Google Scholar
- 17.R. Sridhar: Acta. Phys. Pol. A65, 9 (1984)Google Scholar
- 20.A. Isihara: Physica 106B, 161 (1981)Google Scholar