UK Techniques for the Prediction of Capacities, Queues, and Delays at Intersections Without Traffic Signals
The UK Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL) has been concerned for many years now with techniques for predicting capacities, queues and delays at non-signalised road junctions. A separate paper  has outlined the background to the development of current practices; the aim of the present paper is to amplify the results and to describe how the techniques have been drawn together in two computer programs ARCADY2 and PICADY2. The programs calculate capacities, queues and delays at roundabouts and major/minor junctions respectively. They use information about arriving (demand) flows and junction geometry, and provide traffic engineers with essential aids in the design of non-signalised junctions. They have been in widespread use by local authorities and engineering consultants in the UK for a number of years and are used to an increasing extent in other countries.
KeywordsTransportation Flare Expense
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kimber, R M.: The design of unsignalised intersections in the UK. Proc. of Intnl. Workshop (Intersections Without Traffic Signals), Bochum (16–18 Mar). (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.Kimber, R M.: The traffic capacity of roundabouts. DoE, DTp. TRRL Report LR942, Crowthorne, UK. (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.Kimber, R M and Coombe, R D.: The traffic capacity of major/minor priority junctions. DoE, DTp. TRRL Report SR582, Crowthorne, UK. (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.Transportation Research Board.: Highway Capacity Manual. TRB Special Report 209, Washington DC, USA. (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.Kimber, R M and Hollis, Erica M.: Traffic queues and delays at road junctions. DoE, DTp. TRRL Report LR909, Crowthorne, UK. (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.Kimber, R M and Daly, P N.: Time-dependent queueing at road junctions: observation and prediction. Transpn. Res. 20B(3), pp. 187–203. (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.Semmens (now Taylor), Marie C.: ARCADY2: an enhanced program to model capacities, queues and delays at roundabouts. DTp. TRRL Report RR35, Crowthorne, UK. (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.Semmens (now Taylor), Marie C.: PICADY2: an enhanced program to model capacities, queues and delays at major/minor priority junctions. DTp. TRRL Report RR36, Crowthorne, UK. (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Marlow, M and Maycock, G.: The effect of Zebra crossings on junction entry capacities. DoE, DTp. TRRL Report SR724, Crowthorne, UK. (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.McDonald, M, Hounsell, N B and Kimber, R M.: Geometric delay at non-signalised intersections. DoE, DTp. TRRL Report SR810, Crowthorne, UK. (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.Maycock, G and Hall, R D.: Accidents at 4-arm roundabouts. DoE, DTp. TRRL Report LR1120, Crowthorne, UK. (1984).Google Scholar
- 12.Kimber, R M.: The capacity of some major/minor priority junctions. DoE. TRRL Report LR735, Crowthorne, UK. (1976).Google Scholar