Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Node-Negative Breast Cancer Patients
Recent results have confirmed that adjuvant systemic therapies increase the relapse-free survival (RFS) and overall survival (OS) of patients with resectable breast cancer (Bonadonna and Valagussa 1988; Early Breast Cancer Trialists Collaborative Group 1988). Most of the available adjuvant results at 5 or more years are based on prospective trials designed for node-positive (N +) patients. For many years, the reluctance of research physicians to mount adjuvant trials on node-negative (N -) women was due to the uncertainty about reproducible prognostic variables upon which patient selection could be based. In fact, it should first be recalled that 15%–20% of all N — patients relapse during the first 5 years after local-regional therapy, while in the subsequent 5 years another 5–10% relapse. Therefore, the number of analyzable events are indeed few, unless specific criteria for selection of patients with a high risk of early relapse are utilized.
KeywordsPlacebo Estrogen Oncol Bacillus Stratification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caffier H, Rotte K, Haeggqwist O (1984) Adjuvant chemotherapy versus postoperative irradiation in node negative breast cancer. In: Jones SE, Salmon SE (eds) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 4. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, FL, pp 417–424Google Scholar
- Contesso G, Mouriesse H, Friedman S, Genin J, Sarrazin D, Rouessé J (1987) The im-portance of histologic grade in long-term prognosis of breast cancer. A study of 1010 patients, uniformly treated, at the Institute Gustave Roussy. J Clin Oncol 5: 1378- 1386Google Scholar
- Crowe JP, Hubay CA, Pearson OH, Marshall JS, Rosenblatt J, Mansour EG, Hermann RE, Jones JC, Flynn WJ, McGuire WL, and Participating Investigators (1982) Estrogen receptor status as a prognostic indication for stage I breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2: 171–176PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davis BW, Gelber RD, Goldhirsh A, Hartmann WH, Locher GW, Reed R, Golauh R, Save-Soderbergh J, Holloway L, Russel I, Rudenstam CM, for the Ludwig Breast Cancer Study Group (1986) Prognostic significance of tumor grade in clinical trials of adjuvant therapy for breast cancer with axillary lymph node metastasis. Cancer 58: 2662–2670PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fisher B, Fisher ER, Redmond C, Brown A, and Contributing NSABP Investigators (1986) Tumor nuclear grade, estrogen and progesterone receptors: their value alone or in combination as indicators of outcome following adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 7: 147–160PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fisher B, Redmond CK, Wolmark N, and NSABP Investigators (1987) Long term results from NSABP trials of adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. In: Salmon SE (ed) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 283–295Google Scholar
- Jackez R, Kolb R, Reiner G, Schemper M, Rainer H, Dittrich C, Reiner A (1987) Adjuvant chemotherapy in node-negative breast cancer patients. In: Salmon SE (ed) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 223–231Google Scholar
- Morrison JM, Howell A, Grieve RJ, Monnypenny IJ, Walker R, Kelly KA, Waterhouse JA (1987) The West Midlands Oncology Association Trials of adjuvant chemotherapy for operable breast cancer. In: Salmon SE (ed) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 311–318Google Scholar
- Nissen-Meyer R, Host H, Kjellgren K, Mansson B, Norm T (1987) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer: as single perioperative treatment and with supplementary long-term chemotherapy. In: Salmon SE (ed) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 253–261Google Scholar
- Senn HJ, Barett-Mahler R, for the OSAKO and SAKK Groups (1987) Update of Swiss adjuvant trials with LMF and CMF in operable breast cancer. In: Salmon SE (ed) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 243–252Google Scholar
- Valagussa P, Bignami P, Buzzoni R, Di Fronzo G, Andreola S, Rilke F, Bonadonna G, Veronesi U (1984) Are estrogen receptors alone a reliable prognostic factor in node negative breast cancer? In: Jones SE, Salmon SE (eds) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 4. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 407–415Google Scholar
- Williams CJ, Buchanan RB, Hall V, Taylor I, Cooke T, Nicholson R, Griffiths K (1987) Adjuvant chemotherapy for Tl-2, NO, M0 estrogen receptor negative breast cancer: preliminary results of a randomized trial. In: Salmon SE (ed) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, Orlando, pp 233–241Google Scholar