Adjuvant Chemo- and Endocrine Therapy Alone or in Combination in Premenopausal Patients (GABG Trial 1)
The natural history of operable breast cancer can be affected by adjuvant treatment (Lippman 1986; Salmon 1987). Adjuvant combination chemotherapy, e.g., cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and 5-fluorouracil (CMF) results in a significant prolongation of disease-free (DFS) and overall survival (OS) in premenopausal node-positive patients. These data were mainly obtained by overview analyses of randomized trials with treatment groups as compared with no adjuvant therapy (control) after mastectomy.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Overall Survival Progesterone Receptor Clin Oncol Primary Breast Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1987) Adjuvant tamoxifen in early breast cancer. Lancet ii: 191–192Google Scholar
- EORTC: Breast Cancer Cooperative Group (1973) Standards for the assessment of estrogen receptors in human breast cancer. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 9: 379–381Google Scholar
- Kaufmann M (1983) Biochemische prognostische Faktoren beim Mamma-Karzinom. In: Kubli F, Nagel GA, Kadach U, Kaufmann M (eds) Neue Wege in der Brustkrebsbehandlung. Zuckschwerdt, Munich, pp 46–61 (Aktuelle onkologie, vol 8 )Google Scholar
- Kaufmann M, Jonat W et al. (GABG) (1984) Risk adapted adjuvant chemo-hormonotherapy in operable nodal positive breast cancer. In: Jones SE, Salmon SE (eds) (1984) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 4. Grune and Stratton, New York, pp 369–378Google Scholar
- Kaufmann M, Jonat W, Caffier H, Hilfrich J, Melchert F, Mahlke M, Abel U, Maass H, Kubli F for the Gynecological Adjuvant Breast Cancer Group (1985) Adjuvant chemo-hormonotherapy selected by axillary node and hormone receptor status in node-positive breast cancer. Reviews Endocrine-Related Cancer 17: [Suppl] 57–63Google Scholar
- Lippman ME (ed) (1986) NIH Consensus Development Conference on adjuvant chemotherapy and endocrine therapy breast cancer 1985. NCI Monogr 1Google Scholar
- Ludwig Breast Cancer Study Group (1984) Randomized trial of chemo-endocrine therapy, endocrine therapy and mastectomy alone in postmenopausal patients with operable breast cancer and axillary node metastases. Lancet i: 1256–1260Google Scholar
- Ludwig Breast Cancer Study Group (1985) Chemotherapy with or without oophorectomy high-risk premenopausal patients with operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 3: 1059–1067Google Scholar
- Nolvadex Adjuvant Trial Organization (NATO) (1985) Controlled trial of tamoxifen as single adjuvant agent in management of early breast cancer. Analysis at six years. Lancet i: 836–840Google Scholar
- Salmon SE (ed) (1987) Adjuvant therapy of cancer, vol 5. Grune and Stratton, New York Google Scholar
- Salmon SE, Jones SE (1979) Studies of the combination of adriamycin and cyclophosphamide (alone or with other agents) for the treatment of breast cancer. Oncology 36: 40–44Google Scholar
- Scottish Cancer Trial (1987) Adjuvant tamoxifen in the management of operable breast cancer: The Scottish Trial. Lancet ii: 171–175Google Scholar