Turbulence Management by Groove Roughness
Measurements were made of mean velocity profiles for smooth-wall and d-type groove-rough-wall turbulent boundary layers in zero pressure gradient when perturbed by a spanwise rod attached to the wall. Using Coles law of the wall and law of the wake, the skin friction and wake parameter were evaluated from the velocity measurements. It was deduced from the result of evaluation that equilibrium could exist only for rough-wall boundary layers, in which the effect of perturbation approaches monotonically to a new equilibrium state different from that of the original flow. Suggestions are made on the possibilities of drag reduction by providing the boundary layer with the feature of equilibrium.
KeywordsVortex Lution Nash Crest Rium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Clauser, F. H.: Turbulent boundary layers in adverse pressure gradients. J. Aeron. Sci. 21 (1954) 91–108.Google Scholar
- 3.Townsend, A. A.: The Structure of Turbulent Shear Flow. Cambridge University Press 1956.Google Scholar
- 6.East, L. F.; Sawyer, W. G.: An investigation of the structure of equilibrium turbulent boundary layers. AGARD CP No. 271 (1980) 6. 1–6. 19.Google Scholar
- 7.Nash, J. F.: Turbulent-boundary-layer behaviour and the auxiliary equation. ARC CP No. 835 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.Coles, D.: The turbulent boundary layer in a compressible fluid. Rand Corp., Rep. R-403-PR (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.Coles, D.: The young person’s guide to data. Proc. 1968 AFOSR-IFP-Stanford Conference on Computation of Turbulent Boundary Layers 2 (1969) 1–45.Google Scholar
- 10.Green, J. E.; Weeks, D. J.; Brooman, J. W. F.: Prediction of turbulent boundary layers and wakes in compressible flow by a lag-entrainment method. ARC R & M No. 3791 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.Tani, I.; Motohashi, T.: Non-equilibrium behavior of turbulent boundary layer flows. Proc. Jpn. Acad. B 61 (1985) 333340Google Scholar
- 13.Tani, I.: Some equilibrium turbulent boundary layers. Fluid Dyn. Res. 1 (1986) 49–58.Google Scholar
- 18.Bandyopadhyay, P. R.: The performance of smooth-wall drag reducing outer-layer devices in rough-wall boundary layers. AIAA Paper 85–0558 (1985).Google Scholar