Project for the Photometry of Clusters of Galaxies
The main methods of investigating the structures of clusters of galaxies up to the present time are based on simple galaxy counts. N-body simulations of ensembles of point masses were used to explain these observations. But clusters of galaxies are not ensembles of point masses. The large spectrum of masses of galaxies in clusters as well as the spatial extension of the galaxies will influence the evolution of clusters in a dominant manner. Up to now there exist only very few investigations of the distribution of masses in clusters. They are restricted to the problem of mass segregation in some clusters, as Coma or Centaurus. Such discussions are based upon photometry of galaxies in clusters. Today we consider photometry on photographic plates as the only economic method for the investigation of luminosities of a large number of galaxies. But there is an important disadvantage of this method. It concerns its insufficient accuracy. There are the following main reasons for photometric errors:
Scale errors due to bad calibration of sensitometers and to light diffusion.
Instabilities of the measuring device.
Inhomogeneities in the photographic emulsion.
KeywordsPhotographic Emulsion Point Masse Morphological Type Light Diffusion Photographic Plate
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baier, F. W., and Ziener, R.: 1988, Astron. Nachr., in preparationGoogle Scholar
- Guiderdoni, B.: 1984, Lecture Notes in Physics, Volume 232, New Aspects of Galaxy Photometry, Proceedings of the. Specialized Meeting of the Eight IAU European Regional Astronomy Meeting, Toulouse, September, 17–21, 1984, Page 211Google Scholar
- Taniguchi, Y.: 1986, The Science Report of the Tohoku University, Eight Series, Vol. 6, No 3Google Scholar
- Vaucouleurs, G. de: 1977, “The Evolution of Galaxies and Stellar Populations”, Yale University Conference, May 19–21Google Scholar
- Ziener, R.: 1976, Dissertation, AdW der DDRGoogle Scholar
- Ziener, R.: 1987, This workshopGoogle Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1988