Whenever and wherever plates are sensitometrically tested, the purpose is usually to find a correct hypersensitisation time for a new batch of emulsion. Using a sensitometer and a densitometer, primary information is measured: Fog level, speed at fixed density and gamma. From them, the astronomer will derive other information such as hypersensitisation time (or baking temperature...) and exposure time, using a rule of thumb, such as “the optimum fog density level is 0.3 diffuse”.
KeywordsBromide Tray Photography Photographic Emulsion Dmax
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Bibliography of interest
A.A.S. Photo Bulletin
- Furenlid I., Schoening W.E. and Carder B.E. Jr.: A method of determining photographic SIN (issue # 16, p 14 )Google Scholar
- Hoag. A.A.: Sensitometer calibration (Issue #13, p.14)Google Scholar
- Hoag A.A., Furenlid I. and Schoening W.E.: Think S/N ! (Issue#19,p.3)Google Scholar
- Latham D.W. and Furenlid I.: The Influence of Background Exposure on the DOE of Photographic Plates (Issue #11, p. 11)Google Scholar
- Latham D.W.: Measurements of Interobservatory Densitometer Calibration Plates Issue # 18, p. 3)Google Scholar
The Messenger — E.S.O.
- Quebatte J., Dumoulin B. and R.M. West: Grid processing of large photographic plates (Issue # 46, p. 7 )Google Scholar
Astronomy with Schmidt type telescope (Ed. M. Cappacioli 1 Reidel Publishing Company Volume 110 Astrophysics and Science Library Photography
- Malin F.D.: The detection of faint images against the sky background (p. 57)Google Scholar
- Maury A.J.D.: Remarks on Tgrain technology applied to astrophotography (p.141) Instruments (Space Schmidt telescopes)Google Scholar
- Angel J.R.P.: Implementation and use of wide fields in future very large telescopes (p.549)Google Scholar
- Lemaitre G.: Optical design with the Schmidt concept (p.533)Google Scholar
Modern Techniques in Astronomical Photography 1978 (West and Heudier/ESO)
Astronomical Photography 1981 (Heudier and Sim/INAG)
- Llebaria A. & Figon P.: A general analytic formula for a film characteristic (p. 25)Google Scholar