Sensitivity of Expected Exceedance Rate of SDOF-System Response to Statistical Uncertainties of Loading and System Parameters
The effects of the statistical uncertainties of the loading and system parameters on the mean exceedance rate of a particular threshold are investigated for a linear SDOF-system with viscous damping. For this purpose the structural loading 1s described by the well-known stationary Kanai-Tajimi-earthquake-model. The analysis is simplified by utilizing an approximate solution for the threshold-crossing rate, for which the error with respect to the exact solution is shown to be small. Each of the parameters involved in the expression for the mean exceedance rate of the stationary response of the structure is considered a random variable. The respective effects of the statistical uncertainties of the parameters on the threshold-crossing rate, as expressed by the first- and second moments, are shown explicitely in the numerical examples.
KeywordsFatigue Rote trIose
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kanai, K.: Sem1-empirica1 Formula for the Seismic Characteristics of the Ground, Bulletin Earthquake Res. Inst., Univ. Tokyo, 35: 309–324, 1957Google Scholar
- Tajimi, H.: A Statistical Method of Determining the Maximum Response of a Building Structure During an Earthquake, Proc. 2nd WCEE, Tokyo, 2: 781–797, Science Council of Japan, Japan, 1960Google Scholar
- Lin, Y.K.: Probabilistic Theory of Structural Dynamics, Robert E. Krieger Publ. Co, Huntington, New York, 1976Google Scholar
- Wall, F.J.: influences of the Uncertainties of the Involved Parameters on the Exceedance Rate of a SDOF-System Under Earthquake Loading, Report No. 11-87, Institute of Engineering Mechanics, University of Innsbruck, Austria, 1987Google Scholar
- Lai, S.-S.P.: Statistical Characterization of Strong Ground Motions Using Power Spectral Density Functions, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America (BSSA), Vol. 72, No.1, pp.259–274, Feb. 1982Google Scholar
- Scherer, R.J. and Schuëller, G.I.: Uncertainties in Current Aseismic Design Concepts, Proc. of ICOSSAR’85, the 4th Intern. Conference On Structural Safety And Reliability, Kobe, Japan, pp. 111-51 — 111-60, May 1985Google Scholar
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J.: Dynamics of Structures, McGraw Hill — Intern. Student Edition, 1975Google Scholar