A Study of Dynamics of Microemulsion Droplets by Neutron Spin Echo Spectroscopy
We have employed neutron spin-echo techniques to study the dynamics of the shape fluctuations of microemulsion droplets. It is found that the scattering spectrum of a droplet system with a labelled layer of surfactants exhibits a sharp peak in the relaxation frequency spectrum. We have determined that the fluctuations are driven mainly by the elastic modes of the surface, and the height of the peak allows us to estimate the surface elastic bending coefficient to be of the order of 5 kT.
KeywordsNeutron Spin Surfactant Layer Scatter Length Density Droplet Phase Microemulsion Droplet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a general survey, see for instance Surfactants in Solutions edited by K. Mittal and B. Lindman ( Plenum, New York, 1984 ).Google Scholar
- 4.This is estimated by the surfactant packing area/molecule for a AOT/Water/Decane system. It is known that the surfactant (AOT) resides almost exclusively on the interfacial regime and the packing density is -65 A2 /molecule.Google Scholar
- 6.C. E. Cooke, Jr. and J. H. Schulman, Surface Chem. pp 231–251 (1965)Google Scholar
- 7.S. A. and L. A. Turkevich, Phys. Rev. Lett., 50, 1930 (1982).Google Scholar
- L. E. Scriven, Micellization, Solubilization, and Microemulsions, Edited by K. Mittal (Plenum Press NY) 877, (1977).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Auvray, T. P. Cotton, R. Ober, and C. Taupin, J. Phys. Chem. 88, 4382 (1985).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Kotlarchyk, R. B. Stephens, and J. S. Huang, J. Chem. Phys. to be published (1987).Google Scholar
- 17.F. Mezei, Neutron Spin Echo, Lecture Notes in Physics, Vol. 128, Springer Verlag 1979.Google Scholar
- 18.Heinrich B. Stuhrmann, Acta Cryst. A26, 297 (1969).Google Scholar
- 19.For overdamped capillary waves, also see J. S. Huang and W. W. Webb, Phys. Rev. Lett. 23, 160 (1969).Google Scholar
- 20.A rough estimate of the characteristic time for the elastic mode is r3/Kc 10-7. For a surface tension driven mode the estimate is rn/Q _ 10-’.Google Scholar
- 21.S. Milner and S. A. Safran, to be published (1987).Google Scholar