The Cubic Phases of Liquid-Containing Systems: Physical Structure and Biological Implications
The first observation of a cubic phase in lipid-water systems was reported in the early days of lipid polymorphism , at a time when the very existence of non-lamellar phases still met widespread skepticism. That cubic phase (Q230, see below) was the object of controversial reports: its structure was firmly established in 1967 [2,3]. Several other cubic phases were discovered since. In 1972, TARDIEU  listed five different phases of that class: more recently some of those phases, and others as well, have been observed in a variety of systems (see  and below).
KeywordsHydrocarbon Chain Lipid Phase Spacing Ratio Powder Spectrum Tetraether Lipid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.A. Tardieu: Thesis, Université Paris-Sud (1972)Google Scholar
- 5.V. Luzzati, A. Gulik, T. Gulik-Krzywicki, A. Tardieu: In Lipids and Membranes: Past. Present and Future, ed. by J. A. F. Op den Kamp, B. Roelofsen, K. W. A. Wirtz ( Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., Amsterdam, 1986 ) p. 137Google Scholar
- 7.International Tables for X-Ray Crystallography, Vol. 1 ( Kynoch Press, Birmingham, U. K., 1952 )Google Scholar
- 9.T. Gulik-Krzywicki, L. P. Aggerbeck and K. Larsson: in Surfactants in Solution, ed. by K. L. Mittal and B. Lindman, Vol. 1 ( Plenum Press, New York, 1984 ) p. 237Google Scholar
- 15.A. Tardieu, V. Luzzati: Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 219, 12 (1970)Google Scholar
- 17.V. Luzzati, A. Gulik, M. DeRosa, A. Gambacorta: Nobel Symposium Membrane Proteins:Structure. Function, Assemby, Chimica Scripta (1987), in pressGoogle Scholar
- 18.J. S. Patton: In Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract, ed. by L. R. Johnson ( Raven Press, New York, 1981 ) p. 1123Google Scholar
- 20.V. Luzzati, A. Gambacorta, M. DeRosa, A. Gulik: Ann. Rev. Biophys. and Biophys. Chem. 17 (1987), in pressGoogle Scholar
- 21.C. R. Woese, R. S. Wolfe: The Bacteria, Vol. VIII ( Academic Press, New York, 1985 )Google Scholar
- 23.J. F. Deatherage, K. A. Taylor, L. A. Amos: J. Molec. Biol. 167, 823 (1983)Google Scholar