Neuropathological Findings in AIDS Patients
In Belgium, as in many other countries, cases of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) are being reported in increasing numbers. According to the latest reports of the Ministry of Public Health of Belgium (12), the yearly mean of quarterly newly diagnosed cases has been increasing since 19 82 amongst the resident Belgian population. Up to June 30, 1986, 49 cases had been diagnosed: 28 (57%) were male homo- or bisexuals, 5 (10%) were “Africa related” (travels in Africa or African sexual partner), 4 cases (8%) demonstrated sexual promiscuity, 4 others (including 2 children) had presented AIDS contact and 1 case was a homosexual drug user. In five cases (10%) risk factors have not been established and data concerning the risk factors were lacking in two cases.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dupuis M, Fernandes Xavier FG, Gonsette RE, Brucher JM (1987) Leucoencêphalopathie multifocale progressive mimant une sclérose en plaques comme seule expression clinique d’un syndrome d’immuno-déficience acquis. Acta Neurol Belg 86 (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Fenelon G, Bolgert F, Dehen H (1986) Les manifestations neurologiques du syndrome ďimmuno-dépression acquise (SIDA). Rev Neurol (Paris) 142:97–106Google Scholar
- 8.Ho DD, Rota TR, Schooley RT, Kaplan JC, Allan JD, Groopman JE, Resnick L, Felsenstein D, Andrews CA, Hirsch MS (1985) Isolation of HTLV-III from cerebrospinal fluid and neural tissues of patients with neurologic syndromes related to the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. N Engl J Med 313:1493–1497PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Levy JA, Shimabukuro J, Hollander H, Miller J, Kaminsky L (1985) Isolation of AIDS-associated retroviruses from cerebrospinal fluid and brain of patients with neurological symptoms. Lancet 2:536–588Google Scholar
- 11.Lewy RM, Bredesen DE, Rosenblum ML (1935) Neurological manifestations of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS): Experience at UCSF and review of the literature. J Neurosurg 62:475–495Google Scholar
- 12.Ministere de la Sante Publique et de la Familie (1936) Rapport cumulatif de la situation au 30 juin. Institut d’Hygiene et d’Epidemiologie, Section Epidemiologie, BruxellesGoogle Scholar
- 19.Resnick L, diMarzo-Veronese F, Schupbach J, Tourtellotte WW, Ho DD, Muller F, Shapshak P, Vogt M, Groopman JE, Markham PD, Gallo RC (1985) Intra-blood-brain-barrier synthesis of HTLV-III-specific IgG in patients with neurologic symptoms associated with AIDS or AIDS-related complex. N Engl J Med 313:1493–1504PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar