This paper attempts to provide a theoretical basis for probabilistic relaxation. First the problem of a formal specification is addressed. An approach to determining support functions is developed based on a formula for combining contextual evidence derived in the paper. A method of developing relaxation labelling schemes using these support functions is briefly described.
KeywordsContextual Information Support Function Interaction Relation Labelling Problem Global Criterion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rosenfeld, A., R.A. Hummel and S.W. Zucker, “Scene labeling by relaxation operations,”IEEE SMC, SMC-6, pp. 420–433, 1976.Google Scholar
- Waltz, D.L., “Understanding line drawings of scenes with shadows” in The Psychology of Computer Vision, ed. P.H. Winston, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- Kittler, J., “Compatibility and support functions in probabilistic relaxation,” Proc. 8th ICPR, Paris, xxx 1986.Google Scholar
- Haralick, R.M., “An interpretation for probabilistic relaxation,” CGVIP, 22, pp. 388–395, 1983.Google Scholar
- Peleg, S., “A new probabilistic relaxation scheme,” IEEE PAMI, PAMI-2, pp. 362–369, 1980.Google Scholar
- Kittler, J. and J. Föglein, “On compatibility and support functions in probabilistic relaxation,” CVGIP, 1986.Google Scholar
- Kirby, R.L., “A product rule relaxation method,” CGIP, 13, pp. 158–189, 1980.Google Scholar
- Zucker, S.W. and J.L. Mohammed, “Analysis of probabilistic labeling processes,” Proc. IEEE PRIP Conf, Chicago, pp. 307–312, 1978.Google Scholar
- Brayer, J.M., P.H. Swain and K.S. Fu, “Modelling of earth resources satellite data,” in Applications of Syntactic Pattern Recognition, K.S. Fu, ed., New York, Springer, 1982.Google Scholar
- Faugeras, O.D. and M. Berthod, “Improving consistency and reducing ambiguity in stochastic labeling: an optimization approach,” IEEE PA MI, PAMI—3, pp. 412–424, 1981.Google Scholar
- Hummel, R.A. and S.W. Zucker, “On the foundations of relaxation labeling processes,” IEEE PAMI, PAMI-5, pp. 267–287, 1983.Google Scholar
- Illingworth, J. and J. Kittler, “Optimisation algorithms in probabilistic relaxation labelling” (in this volume).Google Scholar