A Combined Boundary and Finite Element Implementation for Axisymmetric Thermoelasticity
The boundary integral equations pertaining to the whole or a portion of an axi-symmetric solid are converted to finite-element-type equations and subsequently assembled into the system stiffness equations along with similar boundary-type elements or axi-symmetric finite elements. The algorithms for incorporating a mixture of both element types were developed and merged into a standard finite element program. The method was implemented so that the usual linear and quadratic finite elements can be arbitrarily intermixed with general shaped, boundary-integral, formulated elements, including exterior or infinite elements. The thermoelastic stresses may be determined within all element types and on the periphery of the boundary elements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kelly, D. W.; Mustoe, G. G. W.; Zienkiewicz, O. C.: Coupling boundary element methods with other numerical methods, Developments in Boundary Element Methods-1, Banerjee, P. K. and Butterfield, R., ed. (1979) 252–285.Google Scholar
- 3.Brebbia, C. A.; Telles, J. C. F.; Wrobel, L. C.: Boundary element techniques-theory and application, Springer-Verlag 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.Brady, B. H. G.; Wassyng, A.: A coupled finite element-boundary element method of stress analysis, International Journal of Rock Mechanics, Mineral Science and Geomechanics, 18 (1981) 475–485.Google Scholar
- 5.Beer, G.: BEFE-A combined boundary element finite element computer program, Advances in engineering software, 6, 2 (1983) 103–109.Google Scholar
- 6.Rudolphi, T. J.: Nonhomogeneous potential and elasticity problems by combined boundary and finite elements, Advanced Topics in Boundary Element Analysis, ASME AMD 72 (1985) 113–131.Google Scholar
- 9.Bakr, A. A.: The boundary integral equation method in axisymmetric stress analysis problems, Springer-Verlag 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Lohmar, W.: The Combined Finite Element, Boundary Element Method in Axisymmetric Potential and Elasticity Problems, Master’s Thesis, Iowa State University, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Grandin, H.: Fundamentals of the finite element method, Macmillan Pub. Co. 1986.Google Scholar