Plasma flow in the cometosheath of P/Halley during the encounter of Suisei
We estimate proton and alpha particle bulk parameters within the cometosheath. We observed that the density of proton was almost constant (~ 200 cm-3) except near the bow shock and that of alpha particle was almost constant (~ 7 cm-3) in the cometosheath. Temperature of protons seems to decrease from bow shock to about 2 105 km, and increase thereafter slightly, but that of alpha particle seems to be almost constant. This decrease is likely caused by the cooling effect accompanying with the charge exchange process as well as with the mass addition of cold pickup ions. On the contrary, the observed temperature of alpha particles stayed almost constant throughout the cometosheath. This is because that there is no effective cooling process for alpha particles within the cometosheath.
Key wordsComet Cometosheath comet-solar wind interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- d’Uston, C., Reme, H., Squvaud, J.A., Cros, A., Anderson, K.A., Carlson, C.W., Curtis, D., Lin, R.P., Korth, A., Richter, A.K., Mendis, A.: 1986, 20th ESLAB Symp., ESA SP-250, p. 77Google Scholar
- Goldstein, B.E., Neugebauer, M., Balsiger, H., Drake, J.F., Fuselier, S.A., Goldstein, R., Ip, W.-H., Rettenmund, U., Rosenbauer, H. Schwenn, R., Shelley, E.G.: 1986, 20th ESLAB Symp., ESA SP-250, p. 285Google Scholar
- Mukai, T., Kitayama, M., Terasawa, T., Miyake, W., Hirao, K.: 1986c, 20th ESLAB Symp., ESA SP-250, p. 71Google Scholar
- Shelley, E.G., Fuselier, S.A., Drake, J.F., Balsiger, H., Ip, W.-H., Goldstein, B.E., Goldstein, R., Neugebauer, M.: 1986, 20th ESLAB Symp., ESA SP-250, p. 285Google Scholar
- Terasawa, T., Takahashi, S., Mukai, T., Miyake, W., Kitayama, M., Hirao, K.: 1986b, 20th ESLAB Symp., ESA SP-250, p. 281Google Scholar
- Vergin, M.I., Gringauz, K.I., Richter, A.K., Gombosi, T.I., Remizov, A.P., Szego, K., Apathy, I., Szemerey, I.,Tatrallyay, M., Lezhen, L.A.: 1986, 20th ESLAB Symp., ESP SP-250, p. 169Google Scholar