Polarimetry of grains in the coma of P/Halley
With the new photopolarimeter that we built at the Observatoire de Paris, Section de Meudon, we analysed the polarization of the light in different areas over the coma of P/Halley, from October to December 1985 with the 100 cm telescope of Meudon, and then in greater detail in April 1986 with the 152 cm ESO telescope at La Silla, Chile. The data include 164 determinations of the linear polarization Q/I, 114 measurements of U/I and 74 values of the circular polarization V/I. The linear polarization is expressed as a function of the phase angle, separately for the dust recently ejected, for the oldest dust having travelled over at least 3000 km and for the bright envelope around the nucleus. Wavelength dependences are given. Deviations of the azimuth of polarization and circular polarizations are mapped over the coma. Interpretation will follow, for the characterizations of the coma grains.
Key wordscomets Polarimetry Grains interplanetary dust
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dolginov, A.Z., Mitrofanov, I.G.: 1975, Astron. Zh. 52, 1268 (in Russian) (transl.: Soy. Astron. 19, 758 )Google Scholar
- Dollfus, A., Suchail, J.L., Crussaire, D., Killinger, R.: 1986, 20th ESLAB Symp. ESA-SP 250, Vol. II. p. 41Google Scholar
- Dollfus, A., Suchail, J.L.: 1987, The Messenger, Publ. European Southern Observatory, No. 47, 39Google Scholar
- Haefner, R., Metz, K.: 1986, The Messenger, Publ. European Southern Observatory, No. 44, 16Google Scholar
- Kidger, M.R., Cepa, J., Keitch, G., Prieto, M., Collados, M.: 1987, Poster presentation at Symp. Diversity and Similarity of Comets, Brussels, Belgium, 6–9 AprilGoogle Scholar
- Lamy, P., Pedersen, H., Vio, R.: 1986, 20th ESLAB Symposium, ESA SP-250, Vol. II. p. 69Google Scholar
- Le Borgne, J.F., Leroy, J.L., Arnaud, J., 1986, 20th ESLAB Symp. ESA SP-250, Vol. I, p. 571Google Scholar