METU-GDBMS: A Generalized DBMS for the RAP Database Machine
METU-GDBMS is a generalized database management system implemented for the RAP (Relational Associative Processor) database machine. METU-GDBMS, following the ANSI/SPARC proposal supports the three popular data models (namely, the relational, the network and the hierarchical data models) at the external interfaces along with the associated query languages (namely, SQL, LSL and MRI System 2000 DML). The Entity-Relationship Model is chosen as theconceptual common denominator because of its semantic richness. The RAP DBMS assembler is found to be an efficient facility for supporting METU-GDBMS both structurally and operationally.
KeywordsInternal Schema Record Type External Interface Relational Model Data Database Machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dogac, A., “Generalized Database Management Systems: Concept, Design and Analysis”, PhD. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, September 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.Dogac, A, Ozkarahan, E.A., “A Generalized DBMS Implementation on a Database Machine”, Proc. of ACM, SIGMOD, Santa Monica, 1980, pp.133-143.Google Scholar
- 4.Oflazer, K., Ozkarahan, E.A., Smith, K.Ç., “RAP. 3-A Multi-Microprocessor Cell Architecture for the RAP Database Machine”, Proc. of the Intl. Workshop on HLLCA, Florida, May 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Ozkarahan, E.A., “Evolution and Implementations of the RAP Database Machine”, New Generation Computing, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.Unlu, S., “Design and Implementation of a Software Emulator for the Relational Associative Processor-RAP”, M.Sc. Thesis, Dept. of Computer Engineering, METU, August 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.Interim Report ANSI/X3/SPARC Study Group on Data Base Management Systems, FDT 7 No. 2, ACM, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.Boyce, R.F., Chamberlin, D.D., “SEQUEL: A Structured English Query Language”, Proc. of ACM SIGMOD, 1974, pp. 249-264.Google Scholar
- 10.Tsichritzis, D.C., Lochovsky, F.H., “ Data Base Management Systems”, Academic Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.Mri Systems Corp., “System 2000 Publications: General Information Manual, Basic Reference Manual and Immediate Access Feature”, Austin, Texas, 1972.Google Scholar
- 12.Ozkarahan, E.A., Kayakutlu, G., “Performance Analysis of RAP Database Machine Systems”, Dept. of Computer Engineering, Technical Report ISDB. 9, Middle East Technical University, 1979.Google Scholar