Postoperative Respiratory Management
Part of the Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine book series (UICM, volume 1)
- 60 Downloads
The likelihood of respiratory complications following anaesthesia and surgery depends upon the presence of a number of well recognised pre-disposing factors which should be carefully considered at the pre-operative visit . These must be taken into account when planning
Aspiration of gastric contents in the peri-operative period is a well recognised pulmonary complication. This subject, together with pulmonary embolism will not be discussed in this short review which emphasises impairment of respiratory control.
pre-operative medication and management,
anaesthetic technique to be employed,
post operative management.
KeywordsObstructive Sleep Apnea Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Ventilatory Response Oxygen Desaturation Hypoxic Episode
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Catley DM (1984) Postoperative analgesia and respiratory control. ed Jones JG. Effects of anesthesia and surgery on pulmonary mechanisms and gas exchange. Int Anesth Clinics. Little, Brown. Boston. 22: 95–111Google Scholar
- 9.Drummond GB (1984) Factors influencing the control of breathing. ed Jones JG. Effects of anesthesia and surgery on pulmonary mechanisms and gas exchange. Int Anesth Clinics. Little, Brown. Boston. 22: 59–74Google Scholar
- 11.Gothard JWW, Branthwaite MA (1982) In: Anaesthesia for thoracic surgery. Blackwell Scientific Publications p 8–27Google Scholar
- 12.Jones JG (1984) Pulmonary complications following general anaesthesia. ed Kaufman L. Anaesthesia Review 2. Churchill Livingstone, London. p 21–38Google Scholar
- 14.McClain DA, Hug CC (1984) Pharmacodynamics of opiates. ed Jones JG. Effects of anesthesia and surgery on pulmonary mechanisms and gas exchange. Int Anesth Clinics. Little, Brown. Boston 22: 75–94Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1986