PHOENICS in Environmental Flows. A Review of Applications at SMHI
A number of applications of the PHOENICS computer code to environmental flows are described. The purpose of the paper is to review these applications and to evaluate the potential of PHOENICS in environmental flows.
The general conclusion from the paper is that PHOENICS is a powerful code also for environmental flows. To assist further development of the code, attention is drawn to some basic features of environmental flows, for which PHOENICS, in its present form, is not well suited.
KeywordsEnvironmental Flow Plume Spread Snow Precipitation Swedish Meteorological General Purpose Computer Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bringfeit, B. (1984) PHOENICS-simulations of plume spread in the lee of a building and comparisons with smoke experiments and Gaussian dispersion formulae. R & D-notes No. 35, SMHI, S-601 76 Norrköping, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 2.Funkquist, L., Gidhagen, L., and Svensson, U. (1985) Matematisk/numerisk modellering av front- och vågutbredning. In Swedish. Internal report, SMHI, S-601 76 Norrköping, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 3.Häggkvist, K. (1985) Numerisk simulering av vind- och tryckförhallanden vid skogspartier och hyggeskanter. In Swedish. Internal report, SMHI, S-601 76 Norrköping, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 4.Nyberg, L. (1984 a) Two-dimensional simulation of a lake with through-flow. Internal report, SMHI, S-601 76 Norrköping, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 5.Nyberg, L. (1984 b) Simulation of wind-driven currents in a large sea basin. Internal report, SMHI, S 601 76 Norrköping, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 6.Nyberg, L. (1985) PHOENICS-tillämpning på Skagerrak-Kattegatt. In Swedish. Internal report, SMHI, S-601 76 Norrköping, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 7.Spalding, D.B. (1981) A general purpose computer program for multi-dimensional one- and two-phase flow. Mathematics and computers in simulation. North Holland Press, Vol. XXIII, 267 - 276Google Scholar
- 8.Svensson, U. (1984) Wind correction factors for snow precipitation gauges. Part II: Numerical calculations. Presented at the Fifth Northern Research Basins Symposium, Vierumäki, FinlandGoogle Scholar