Assessment of PSA Methods and Procedures: a Wide Scoping European Research Programme
The paper describes a Research Project which involves major organizations dealing with nuclear power reactor development and operation in Europe, for evaluating methods and uncertainties linked with probabilistic safety assessment techniques and eventually achieving a consensus on procedures to be adopted. The programme, sponsored and co-ordinated by JRC, is being performed through a set of Benchmark Exercises on several PSA topics. Presently, an exercise on the so-called Common Cause Failures is at a rather advanced status of completion, whereas a first exercise on systems reliability has been already completed. The experience up to now gained with the project will be discussed even with respect to its possible extension to other technical fields (e.g. industrial installations).
KeywordsFault Tree Major Hazard Mission Success Benchmark Exercise Instructive Picture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sizewell “B” Power Station Public Inquiry, CEGB (U.K.), April 1982, Vol.1/2.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Leroy (TOTAL, CFP), Editor: “EuReDatA Seminar on the Use of Reliability Data for Major Hazards Evaluation”, Paris, October 17th, 1984. T.N. No. I.05.E3.85.23, JRC-Ispra, March 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Villemeur: “Example of implementation of EDF policy”, Seminar quoted at .Google Scholar
- 4.A. F. Ellis: “H&SE policy for the control of major hazards”, Seminar quoted at .Google Scholar
- 5.O. Berg and O. Thuestad: “NPD requirements relating to safety evaluation of platform conceptual design”, Seminar quoted at .Google Scholar
- 6.W.T. Pratt et al.: “Insights gained from in-depth reviews of several industry generated PRAs”, ANS/ENS Int. Top. Meet, on Probabilistic Safety Methods and Applications, San Francisco, California, February 24 — March 1, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Amendola: “Uncertainties in systems reliability modelling: Insight gained through European Benchmark Exercises”, 8th Int. Conf. on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMIRT-8), Post-Conference Seminar “The Role of Data and Judgement in Probabilistic Risk and Safety Analysis”, Brussels, August 26–27, 1985. To be published in Nuclear Engineering and Design.Google Scholar
- 8.PRA uses and techniques: a Nordic perspective. NKA, June 1985, Summary report of the NKA project SAK-1, edited by S. Dinsmore (Studsvik Energiteknik AB, S).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Stadke: “The LOBI-PREX test” (Post-test analysis), EUR 6972 EN (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.S.J. Crutzen: “PISC I and PISC II; seeking for improved NDT techniques”, EUROTEST Conf., Brussels, March 23–27, 1982.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Sobottka and H. Fabian: “Advanced design of DWR through probabilistic safety analysis”, ANS/ENS Int. PSA Meet, quoted at Ref. .Google Scholar