Numerical Analysis of Adiabatic Shear Band in an Early Stage of Its Propagation
An adiabatic shear and produced by simple shearing in a rectangular body with a notch is analyzed numerically by the finite element method, using a stress-strain curve for the adiabatic condition, which shows an instability region due to the strain softening. Formation and propagation of the shear band are investigated for different geometrical conditions and compared with the plastic deformation of a material which has no instability region. When the plastic strain near the notch tip reaches the instability strain, the shear band starts to propagate faster than the expansion of plastic deformation area in the stable hardening material and the velocity of the shear band increases acceleratedly. A width of the shear band is estimated to be about 7µm.
KeywordsPlastic Strain Shear Band Contour Line Strain Softening Instability Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.F. Recht, Catastrophic thermoplastic shear, trans. ASME 86, 189 (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.R.S. Culver, Thermal instability strain in dynamic plastic deformation, Metallurgical Effects at High Strain Rates, edited by R..W. Rohde, B.M. Butcher, J.R. Holland, and C.H. Karnes (Plenum Press, New York, 1973), p.519.Google Scholar
- 4.A.S. Argon, Stability of plastic diformation, The Inhomogeneity of Plastic Deformation (ASM, Metals Park, OH 1973), p.161.Google Scholar
- 8.L.S. Costin, E.E. Crisman, R.H. Hawley, and J. Duffy, On the localisation of plastic flow in mild steel tubes under dynamic torsional loading, Second conf. on the Behaviour of Materials at High Rates of Strain (Oxford, England, 1979), p.90.Google Scholar
- 12.H.C. Rogers, Adiabatic plastic deformation, Ann. Rev. Mater. Sei., 283 (1979.9).Google Scholar
- 13.H.A. Grebe, H.-r. Pak, and M.A. Meyers, Met. Trans. 16A, 761 (1985).Google Scholar
- 14.M.E. Backman and S.A. Finnegan, The propagation of adiabatic shear, see ref. 10, p.531.Google Scholar
- 15.S. Kuriyama, H. Hayashi, and S. Yoshida, Numerical Analysis of flange behavior in deep drawing by the finite element method, Proc. of 4th Internat. Conf. on Production Engineering (Tokyo, 1980), p.38.Google Scholar