Long- and Short-Range Order Fluctuations in the H/W(100) System
The surface reconstruction phase transformations of W(100) can be understood in terms of periodic lattice distortion instabilities. A mechanism of non-linearly coupled phonon soft modes produces a system of antiphase domain walls which can be viewed as a “soliton superlattice”. Many aspects of the behavior of W(100) with variation in temperature and hydrogen coverage can be understood in terms of long- and short-range order fluctuations of this lattice dynamical model.
KeywordsDomain Wall Atomic Displacement Incommensurate Phase Polaron Band Hydrogen Coverage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.F. Willis: Dynamical Phenomena in Surfaces, Interfaces and Superlattices, Springer Ser. Solid State Sci., ed. by M. Cardona (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, in press)Google Scholar
- 37.4P.J. Estrup, R.A. Barker: Ordering in Two-Dimensions, ed. by S.K. Sinha (Elsevier/North Holland, New York 1980)Google Scholar
- 37.5J. Villain: Ordering in Strongly Fluctuating Condensed Matter Systems, ed. by T. Riste, NATO ASI Vol. 50B (Plenum, New York 1980)Google Scholar
- 37.10V. Heine, J.D. McConnell: J. Phys. C17, 1199 (1984)Google Scholar
- 37.11R.F. Willis: Many-Body Phenomena at Surfaces, ed. by D. Langreth, H. Suhl (Academic, New York 1984)Google Scholar
- S.C. Ying, G.Y. Hu: This Volume, p.341Google Scholar
- E.F.J. Didham, R.F. Willis: J. Physique 45, C5 (Suppl. no.4) (1984), and to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- E. Tosatti: Modern Trends in the Theory of Condensed Matter, ed. by A. Pekalski, J. Przystawa (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1980)Google Scholar
- 37.24J. Friedel:Electron-Phonon Interactions and Phase Transitions, ed. by T. Riste, NATO ASI Vol.29B (Plenum, New York 1977)Google Scholar