Visualization of Generation Process of a Turbulent Spot
At a later stage of transition in a flat plate boundary layer, the relation between spikes in wave forms of velocity fluctuations and hair-pin eddies in flow visualization was investigated in a water flow by applying hot wire and hydrogen bubble techniques simultaneously. It was shown that spikes in wave forms are caused by hair-pin eddies which were formed through the secondary instability in a high shear layer.
KeywordsPrimary Wave Velocity Fluctuation Wave Form Secondary Instability Turbulent Spot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schubauer, G. B., Skramstad, H. K., NACA Rep. No. 1289 1947.Google Scholar
- 3.Kovasznay, L. S. G., Komoda, H. and Vasudeva, B. R., Proc. 1962 Heat Transfer and Fluid Mech. Institute, Stanford Univ. Press (1962) 1–26.Google Scholar
- 4.Hama, F. R., and Nutant, J., Proc. 1963 Heat Transfer and Fluid Mech. Institute, Stanford Univ. Press (1963) 77–93.Google Scholar
- 6.Nishioka, M., Asai, M. and Iida, S., Laminar-Turbulent Transition ed. by Eppler, R. and Fasel, H. Springer-Verlag (1980) 37–46.Google Scholar
- 8.Herbert, T., Proc. IUTAM Symp. on Turbulence and Chaotic Phenomena in Fluids, 5–10 Sept. 1983, Kyoto, Japan.Google Scholar
- 9.Saric, W. S. and Thomas, A. S. W., Proc. IUTAM Symp. on Turbulence and Chaotic Phenomena in Fluids, 5–10 Sept. 1983, Kyoto, Japan.Google Scholar
- 10.Saric, W. S., Kozlov, V. V. and Levchenko, V. Y., AIAA-840007, AIAA 22nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 9–12 Jan. 1984 Reno, Nevada.Google Scholar
- 11.Saric, W. S., Carter, J. D. and Reynolds, G. A., Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc. 26 (1981) 1252.Google Scholar
- 12.Williams, D. R., Ph.D. dissertion, Princeton Univ. June 1982.Google Scholar
- 13.Nishioka, M., Asai, M. and Iida, S., Proc. 12th Turbulence Symp., Inst. Space and Aeron. Sci., Univ. of Tokyo (1980) 28–34.Google Scholar
- 14.Hama, F. R., private communication, 1984.Google Scholar