The Effect of Cooling on the Supersonic Boundary Layer Stability and Transition
The present paper describes the carried out experimental studies of the laminar boundary layer stability on a flat plate and the transition into a turbulent state both by cooling of a streamlined surface and by its heating. There are confirmed the main theses of the linear theory of hydrodynamic stability. An explanation of the transition reversal appearing in tests in the wind tunnels on cooled models is given.
KeywordsMach Number Transition Reversal Laminar Boundary Layer Neutral Stability Curve Supersonic Boundary Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gaponov, S.A.; Maslov, A.A.: Disturbance propagation in compressible flows (in Russian). Novosibirsk: Nauka 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Lebiga, V.A.; Maslov, A.A.; Pridanov, Y.G.: Experimental investigation of the stability of supersonic boundary layer on a flat insulated plate. Archives Mech. 31 (1979) N3, 397–405.Google Scholar
- 5.Mack, L.M.: Boundary layer stability theory. Document 900–277, JPL, 1969.Google Scholar
- 6.Maslov, A.A.: Numerical investigation of the stability of the supersonic laminar boundary layer (in Russian). Zhurnal Prikladnoi Mekhaniki i Tekhnicheskoi Fiziki (1972) N5, 181–184.Google Scholar
- 7.Demetriades, A.: New experiment on hypersonic boundary layer stability including wall temperature effects. Proceeding of the 1978 Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics Institute. Stanford University Press. (1978) 39–56.Google Scholar
- 8.Lysenko, V.I.; Maslov, A.A.: Transition of laminar supersonic boundary layer into turbulent one by surface cooling (in Russian). Zhurnal Prikladnoi Mekhaniki i Tekhnicheskoi Fiziki (1981) N3, 30–36.Google Scholar
- 9.Lysenko, V.I.; Maslov, A.A.: Experimental study of the influence of heating on supersonic boundary layer transition and stability (in Russian). Izv. SO AN SSSR (1981) N13, 42–49.Google Scholar
- 11.Lysenko, V.I.; Maslov, A.A.: The effect of cooling on supersonic boundary-layer stability. J.Fluid Mech.(to appear).Google Scholar