Three-Dimensional Numerical Simulation of Laminar Turbulent Transition and its Control by Periodic Disturbances
The laminar-turbulent transition process in plane Poiseuille flow is simulated by numerical integration of the three-dimensional time-dependent Navier-Stokes equations using a spectral method. The classical peak-valley splitting mode of secondary instability is considered. Detailed comparison with experiments has demonstrated very satisfactory agreement up to the 1-spike stage. Visualizations of the development of three-dimensional flow structures are presented including timelines of fluid markers. It is found that the A vortex structure appearing in flow visualizations does not consist of a vortex tube as the usual interpretation of the vortex loop concept suggests. A numerical study of transition control by superposition of purely two-dimensional waves shows that efficient control is possible at an early stage of the transition process but fails once significant three-dimensional disturbances are present.
KeywordsVortex Milling Vorticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Th. Herbert, AIAA paper 83–1759 (1983) and AIAA paper 84–0009 (1984)Google Scholar
- Th. Herbert, Secondary instability of shear flows, in AGARD Report No. 709 (1984)Google Scholar
- W.S. Saric, V.V. Kozlov, V.Ya. Levchenko, AIAA paper 84–0007 (1984)Google Scholar
- M. Nishioka, M. Asai, S. Iida, Proc. IUTAM Symposium on Laminar-Turbulent Transition, Stuttgart, 1979 (Springer Verlag, 1980 ) 37–46Google Scholar
- M. Nishioka, M. Asai, Proc. IUTAM Symposium on Turbulence and Chaotic Phenomena, Kyoto, 1983Google Scholar
- Th. Herbert, Fluid Dyn. Trans. 11 (1983) 77–126Google Scholar
- L. Kleiser, Numerische Simulationen zum laminar-turbulenten UmschlagsprozeD der ebenen Poiseuille-Strömung. Dissertation, Karlsruhe, 1982 (Report KfK 3271, Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe)Google Scholar
- L. Kleiser, U. Schumann, in R.G. Voigt et al. (ed.), Spectral Methods for Partial Differential Equations, SIAM, Philadelphia 1984, 141–163Google Scholar
- L. Kleiser, in H.L. Jordan. (ed.), Nonlinear Dynamics in Trans-critical Flows, Springer Lecture Notes in Engineering, to appearGoogle Scholar
- A. Wray, M.Y. Hussaini, AIAA paper 80–0275 (1980)Google Scholar
- D.R. Williams, H. Fasel, F.K. Hama, to appear in JFMGoogle Scholar
- E. Laurien, L. Kleiser, to appear in ZAMMGoogle Scholar