Failure Probability and Parameter Estimation for Structures with Weibull-Distributed Strength
The main problem considered in this paper is the evaluation of the failure probability of a structural system with Weibull-distributed strength subjected to a dynamic random loading effect, modeled by a Gaussian stochastic process. The failure probability of the system is evaluated under these probabilistic assumptions together with the hypothesis of a Poisson distribution for the number of upcrossings of a level by the loading process. The probability of at least one upcrossing is derived with any desired accuracy. The parameter estimation of a slightly generalized Weibull distribution is also discussed. The final section is concerned with the evaluation of the failure probability of a structural system subjected to seismic excitation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bolotin, Y.V.: Application of probabilistic methods and methods of reliability theory in calculus of structures (in Russian). Moscow: Publ.House for Engineering 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Talreja, R.: Estimation of Weibull parameters for composite material strength and fatigue life data. DCAMM Report No. 168, The Tech.Univ.of Denmark: 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.Vanmarcke, E.H.: Structural response to earthquakes - ch.8 in Seismic risk and engineering decisions. Amsterdam, Oxford, New York: Elsevier Sci.Publ.Co. 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.Corotis, R.B.; Vanmarcke, E.H.: Time-dependent spectral content of system response. J.Engrg.Mechanics Division 101 (1975), EMS, 623–637.Google Scholar
- 7.Lungu, D.; Ghiocel, D.: Probabilistic methods in structural calculus (in Romanian). Bucureşti: Techn. Publ.House 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.Isaic-Maniu, A.: The Weibull method (in Romanian). Bucureşti: Romanian Academy Publ.House 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Şesan, A.; Covali, S.; Gheorghiu, N.; Vulpe, A.: Probabilistic problems in structural analysis at limit states. Bull.Inst.Polytechn.Iasi VI(X) (1960) 375–380.Google Scholar
- 10.Vulpe, A.; Cărăuşu, A.; Poterap, F.V.: Selection of probabilistic model in structural reliability analysis in terms of decision theory. Bull.Inst.Polytechn.Iasi XXVI(XXX) (1980) 7–12.Google Scholar
- 11.Weibull, W.: A statistical theory of the strength of materials. Ing.Vetenskaps Akademiens Handlingar Nr.151, Stockholm 1939.Google Scholar
- 12.Weibull, W.: Estimation of distribution parameters by a combination of the best linear order statistic method and maximum likelihood. Technical Report AFML-TR-67–105 (1967), Wright-Patterson, Ohio.Google Scholar