The Intelligent Database Machine (IDM)
This paper presents an overview of the software and hardware architecture of Britton-Lee Corporation’s Intelligent Database Machine (the IDM). The IDM was designed to provide quality database performance at a moderate cost. Communication between the host computer and the IDM is discussed, as are the issues involved in dividing the total work load between the host computer and the IDM backend machine. In addition, certain performance characteristics of the IDM are presented.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Query Processing Database Management System Host Computer Relational Database Management System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (BITT83).Bitton D, Martinez R, Turbyfill C, Wiley R, “An experiment in benchmarking database systems”, Proceedings of Fall DECUS Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 1983Google Scholar
- (BLAS81, see BLAS79).Blasgen MW, et al. “System R: an architectural update”. IBM Research Report RJ2581, IBM Research Laboratory, San Jose, 1979Google Scholar
- (BRIT84).Britton-Lee Inc., IDM Software Reference Manual Version 1.6, Los Gatos, California, 1984Google Scholar
- (BORA84).Boral H, DeWitt D, “A database system performance evaluation methodology”, University of Wisconsin Computer Science Technical Report, Madison, Wisconsin, January 1984Google Scholar
- (CHAM76).Chamberlin DD et al, “SEQUEL2: A unified approach to data definition, manipulation, and control”, IBM J. Res. and Devel., 20,6, November 1976, 560–575Google Scholar
- (GRAY78).Gray JN, Notes on Database Operating Systems, Report RJ2188, IBM San Jose, 1978Google Scholar
- (HAWT79).Hawthorn PB, “Evaluation and enhancement of the performance of relational database manage-ment systems”, Ph. D. Dissertation, University of California, Berkeley, 1979Google Scholar
- (LOWE82).Lowenthal E, “Database systems for local nets”, DATAMATION, August 1982Google Scholar
- (MITC76).Mitchell RW, “Content addressable file store”, Proc. Online Database Technology Conference, April 1976Google Scholar
- (STON76).Stonebraker M, Wong E, Kreps P, Held G, “The design and implementation of INGRES”, ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 1,3, September 1976,189–222Google Scholar