Tamoxifen and Combination Chemotherapy as Adjuvant Treatment in Postmenopausal Women with Breast Cancer
The general acceptance of breast cancer as a systemic disorder with lymph node metastases as an indicator of poor prognosis has stimulated the search for effective means to control micrometastases. While the early trials on prolonged adjuvant chemotherapy significantly delayed the onset of relapse in premenopausal women, breast cancer in the postmenopausal group of patients was apparently less affected [1, 2]. In postmenopausal women tamoxifen has proved to be of value in the palliative treatment of advanced breast cancer and has usually few and mild side effects. Several groups of investigators have therefore included tamoxifen in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancer, either alone or in combination with cytotoxic chemotherapy; for a review consult Mouridsen and Palshof .
KeywordsToxicity Depression Estrogen Oncol Methotrexate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wrange Ö, Nordenskjöld B, Gustafsson J-A (1978) Cytosol estradiol receptor in human mammary carcinoma: An assay based on isoelectric focusing in polyacrylamide gel. Anal Biochem 85: 461-475Google Scholar
- 7.Cox DR (1972) Regression models and life tables. JR Stat Soc [B] 34: 187 - 220Google Scholar
- 10.Nolvadex Adjuvant Trial Organisation (1983) Controlled trial of tamoxifen as adjuvant agent in management of early breast cancer. Lancet 1: 257 - 261Google Scholar
- 11.Wallgren A, Baral E, Glas U, et al. (1981) Adjuvant treatment of breast cancer with tamoxifen and combination chemotherapy in postmenopausal women. In: Salmon SE, Jones SE (eds) Adjuvant therapy of cancer III. Grune and Stratton, New York, pp 345 - 350Google Scholar
- 12.Palshof T, Mouridsen HT, Daehnfeldt JL (1980) Adjuvant endocrine therapy of primary operable breast cancer. Report on the Copenhagen breast cancer trials. Eur J Cancer 16: 183-187Google Scholar
- 16.Baum M (1982) Scientific empirism and clinical medicine. In: Baum M, Kay R, Scheurlen H (eds) Clinical trials in early breast cancer. Birkhäuser, Basel, pp 35 - 46Google Scholar