Temperature Measurements in a Negatively Buoyant Round Vertical Jet Issued in a Horizontal Crossflow
The problem considered here is the vertical discharge of round negatively buoyant jets through a horizontal crossflow. Laboratory experiments are performed in a flume: fresh water is emitted vertically through warm water. Temperature measurements are undertaken along verticals in the jet axis. It is found that the mean temperature values can be plotted as similarity diagrams. Some experimental correlations are deduced for the maximum height of jet rise. Turbulent temperature quantities do not appear obeying to similarity in the ascending part of the jet. Asymmetry is observed for the various profiles. The intermittency zone was also investigated in some cases.
KeywordsGraphical Recording Intermittency Factor Densimetric Froude Number Intermittency Region Axial Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Badr, A.: Contribution à l’étude des jets radioactifs et des jets lourds émis en présence d’un courant traversier. Thèse de Docteur-Ingénieur. Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.Townsend, A.A.: The structure of Turbulent Shear Flow. Cambridge University Press (1956).Google Scholar
- 3.Wright, S.J.: Effects of Ambient Crossflow and Density Stratification on the Characteristic Behavior of Round Turbulent Buoyant Jets. W.M. Keck Laboratory of Hydraulics and Water Resources. California Institue of Technology. Pasadena, Report KH-R-36 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.List, E.J. and Imberger, J.: Turbulent Entrainment in Buoyant Jets and Plumes“. Journal of the Hydraulics Division, proc. ASCE, HY9,pp.14611474 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.Chu, V.H.: Turbulent Dense Plumes in Laminar Crossflow. Journal of the Hydraulic Research, 13, n°3, pp. 263–279 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.Stolzenbach, K.D, Adams, E.E.: Submerged Discharges of Dense Effluent. Proceedings of the 2nd International IAHR Symposium on Stratified Flows. Trondheim. Norway, vol. 2, pp. 832–844 (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.Antonia, R.A., Prabhu, A; Stephenson, S.E.: Conditionally Sampled Measurements in a Heated Turbulent Jet. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 72, part 3, pp. 455–480 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.Kotsovinos, N.E.: A study of the Entrainment and Turbulence in a Plane Buoyant Jet“. Ph.D.Thesis. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena. 1975.Google Scholar