Theoretical Methods for the Analysis of Exciton Capture and Annihilation
The theoretical activity in the field of exciton dynamics in molecular crystals may be considered as being divided into three parts: (i) the search for an appropriate evolution equation or transport instrument to serve as a point of departure for the analysis of exciton motion, (ii) the construction of a practical formalism or scheme to take one from the point of departure to observable quantities, and (iii) the application of the consequences of the scheme to particular experimental results. Such a division is not only analogous to similar logical classifications in entire branches of physics, e.g., in statistical mechanics itself, but, in the case of Frenkel exciton dynamics, it is also, in large part, chronological. In 1932 PERRIN found definite disagreement with experiments — on fluorescence depolarization — on choosing the Schrödinger equation among sharp molecular site states as the transport instrument . In 1948 FÖRSTER showed that the disagreement stemmed not from the particular transport mechanism assumed by PERRIN — dipole-dipole interactions — but from the transport instrument itself .
KeywordsCoherence Nite Anthracene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Perrin, Ann.Physique V7, 283 (1932)Google Scholar
- 3.Th. Förster, in Comparative Effects of Radiation, J.S. Kirby- Smith, J.L. Magee ed. (Wiley, New York 1960 ) Chap. 13Google Scholar
- 5.P. Reineker, in Exciton Dynamics in Molecular Crystals and Aggregates, G. Höhler ed. ( Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1982 )Google Scholar
- 9.V.M. Kenkre, in Statistical Mechanics and Statistical Methods in Theory and Application, U. Landman ed. ( Plenum, New York, 1977 )Google Scholar
- 10.V.M. Kenkre, Phys.Rev. BJJ, 1741 (1975); 12, 2150 (1975) ? Phys.Lett. 63A, 367 (1977); 65A, 391 (1978)Google Scholar
- 11.V.M. Kenkre, in Exciton Dynamics in Molecular Crystals and Aggregates, G. Höhler ed. ( Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1982 )Google Scholar
- 12.V.M. Kenkre, J.Stat.Phys. 30, 293 (1983); Proceedings of the Fourth International Seminar on Energy Transfer, J. Panto- flicek ed. (Prague, 1981 ) p. 54Google Scholar
- 13.H.C. Wolf, in Adv. in Atomic and Molecular Physics vol. 34 D.R. Bates and I. Esterman ed. ( Acad. New York 1967 )Google Scholar
- 15.V.M. Kenkre and P.E. Parris, Phys.Rev. B6, 3221 (1983)Google Scholar
- 17.V.M. Kenkre, P.E. Parris and S.M. Phatak, University of Rochester preprintGoogle Scholar