Vertical Liquid-Liquid and Liquid-Gas Two-Phase Flow Measurements with a Vortex Flowmeter
The response of a vortex flowmeter in vertical liquid-liquid (water-kerosene) and gas-liquid (air-water) flows has been studied experimentally at mean velocities between 0.2 and 2 m/s.
In gas-liquid flows, excellent signals are obtained up to 10% void fractions for mean velocities above .45 m/s. The liquid flow rate can be measured to within 1% provided a void fraction dependent correction is applied.
In liquid-liquid flows, good signals are obtained at all mixture compositions for mean velocities above.4 m/s.The total liquid flow rate is directly measured within +/− 2%. At lower velocities (above .25 m/s), the device remains usable in a more limited range of volume fractions.
Using two obstacles instead of one greatly improves the signal output stability.
Detailed investigations of the local flow structure upstream and downstream of the obstacles are also reported and explain several of the observed vortex emission characteristics.
KeywordsVoid Fraction Vortex Core Strouhal Number Liquid Flow Rate Single Phase Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BAKER,R.C., and DEACON,J.E.,1983, Tests on turbine, vortex and electromagnetic flowmeters in two phase air-water upward flow, International Conference on Physical Modelling of Multiphase Flow, Coventry, England, April 19–21, paper H1, 337–352, BHRA Fluid Engineering, Cranfield, Bedford, England.Google Scholar
- GOLDRING B.T., MAWER W.T. and THOMAS N.H.,1980, Third International Conference on Pressure Surges, Canterbury, England, March 21–27, Paper F2, BHRA Fluid Engineering, Cranfield, Bedford.Google Scholar
- HERZL J.P.,1974, System for determining the ratio of oil to water in a metered fluid stream, U.S. patent 4,048,854Google Scholar
- KOBORI T. and TERADA M., 1978, Application of the needle type void meter to blow-down test, Proceedings of the CSNI specialist meeting on transient two phase flow, Paris, 699–714.Google Scholar
- NICOLAS Y. and WITTERHOLT E.J., 1972, Measurements of multiphase fluid flow, 47th Annual Fall Meeting of the Society of Petroleum Engineers of AIME, San Antonio ( Texas ), Oct 8–11.Google Scholar
- REIMANN J., JOHN A. and MULLER S., 1977, Bestimmung der Stromungs in Horizontaler Luft-wasser sowie Dampf-wasser Stromung mit einer localen Impedanz Sonde, Report KFK 2527 Karlsruhe Nuclear Research Center.Google Scholar
- THOMAS N.H., AUTON T.R., SENE K., HUNT J.C.R.,1983, Entrapment and transport of bubbles by transient large eddies in multiphase turbulent shear flows, International Conference on Physical Modelling of Multiphase flow, Coventry, England, April 19–21, paper El, 169–184, BHRA Fluid Engineering, Cranfield, Bedford, England.Google Scholar