A Single-Beam Multi-Detector Gamma Densitometer for Void Fraction and Phase Distribution Measurements in Transient Two-Phase Flows
Different methods for void fraction and phase distribution measurements in two-phase flow have been used in the past with limited success. In the present paper, the design of a simple single-beam, multi-detector gamma densitometer for void fraction and phase distribution measurements is described. Both static and quasi-static calibrations are presented. It was found that the present design is capable of predicting average void fractions in horizontal pipe flows to within 5% in general. Objective flow regime identification is also possible using the chordal void fluctuations. A simple process of elimination was developed for flow regime identification. The process is particularly suited for transient data reduction using computers.
KeywordsFlow Regime Test Section Void Fraction Slug Flow Annular Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fincke, J.R., Vince, M.A. and Jeffry, C.L., 1982, Measurement of Time-Average Density Distribution in Horizontal Multiphase Flow Using Reconstructive Tomography, Measurements in Polyphase Flows, ed, T.R. Heidrick and B.R. Patel, 37–44.Google Scholar
- Heidrick, T.R., Saltvold, J.R. and Banerjee, S., 1975, Application of a Three-Beam Gamma Densitometer to Two-Phase Flow Design and Density Measurements, AIChE Symposium Series, Vol. 73, 234–255.Google Scholar
- Hubbard, M.G. and Dukler, A.E., 1966, The Characterization of Flow Regimes for Horizontal Two-Phase Flow: I. Statistical Analysis of Wall Pressure Fluctuations, Proceedings of the 1966 Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics Institute, ed, M.A. Saad and J.A. Moller, 100–121, Stranford University Press.Google Scholar
- Jeandey, C., 1982, Multibeam X-ray Densitometer for Flow Pattern and Void Fraction Determination in Steam Water Mixtures, Measurements in Polyphase Flows, ed. T.R. Heidrick and B.R. Patel, 19–28.Google Scholar
- Lahey, R.T. Jr., 1978, A Review of Selected Void Fraction and Phase Velocity Measurement Technique, Two-Phase Measurements, Fluid Dynamics Institute Short Course on Two-Phase Flow Measurements, Dartmouth College.Google Scholar
- Lassahn, G.D., 1977, LOFT Three-Beam Gamma Densitometer Data Interpretation, TREE-NUREG-1111.Google Scholar
- Shumway, R.W. and Cozzuol, J.M., 1978, Measurement of Two Phase Flow Conditions in a Horizontal Pipe Aided by Multi-Beam Gamma Densitometers, Topics of Two-Phase Heat Transfer and Flow, ed. S.G. Bankoff, 213–218.Google Scholar