Malignant Bone Tumors
The annual incidence of cancer in children varies from country to country. The Manchester Tumour Register shows an incidence of 100 per million children under 15 years of age, whereas in the United States the Third National Cancer Survey conducted over the three year period 1969–1971 showed an annual incidence of 125 cases per million Primary cancers of bone are uncommon and represent about 5%–6% of tumours occurring in children, the two most common forms being osteosarcoma and Ewing’s sarcoma. Osteosarcoma is rare in children under the age of 5 years but its incidence rises rapidly during adolescence to reach a peak at about the age of 16 years. Ewing’s tumour is seen more commonly than osteosarcoma in children under 10 years and it too increases in incidence with age to reach a peak in the late teens. In a review of bone tumours from the Mayo Clinic (Dahlin and Coventry 1967) it was reported that of 530 malignant primary bone tumours, there were 294 osteosarcomas in patients aged between 10 and 20 years and only 25 in patients aged under 10 years, whereas there were 103 Ewing’s tumours in patients aged between 10 and 20 years and 45 in patients aged under 10 years.
KeywordsShrinkage Sarcoma Methotrexate Cardiomyopathy Cyclophosphamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cortes EP, Holland JF, Wang JJ, Glidewell O (1977) Amputation and adriamycin (ADM) in primary osteosarcoma (OS). A preliminary report. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res/Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 18: 297–298Google Scholar
- 3.Cortes EP, Necheles TF, Holland JF, Glidewell O (1979) Adriamycin (ADM) alone versus ADM and high dose methotrexate citrovorum factor rescue (HDMTX-CF) as adjuvant to operable primary osteosarcoma (OS): a randomized study by Cancer and Leukaemia Group B (CALGB). Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res/Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol (Abstr C-498) 20: 412Google Scholar
- 4.Cortes EP, Wenberg V, Holland JF, Carey RW for the CALGB (1981) Adjuvant chemotherapy with adriamycin for primary osteosarcoma. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res/Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol (Abstr C-280) 22: 404Google Scholar
- 6.Ettinger LJ, Douglass HO Jr, Higby DJ, Nime F, Mindell ER, Ghoorah J, Sinks LF, Freeman AI (1980) Adriamycin (ADR) and cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (DDP) as adjuvant therapy in osteosarcoma of the extremities. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res/Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol (Abstr C-292) 21: 392Google Scholar
- 9.Nesbit ME (1976) Ewing’s sarcoma. CA 26: 176–181Google Scholar
- 11.Rosen G, Huvos M, Nirenberg A, Caparros B (1981) Osteogenic sarcoma (OS): selection of adjuvant chemotherapy (CT) based upon the response of the primary tumour to preoperative (PreO) CT. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res/Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol (Abstr C-378) 22: 429Google Scholar
- 12.Rosenberg SA, Chabner BA, Young RC, Clippca (1979) Treatment of osteogenic sarcoma. 1. Effect of adjuvant high dose methotrexate after amputation. Cancer Treat Rep 63: 739–751Google Scholar