Detection of Endocrine Responsiveness by Flow Cytometric DNA Analysis in Experimental Human Breast Cancer
In human metastatic breast cancer, the response to endocrine therapy is approximately 30%, regardless of type of endocrine therapy applied (McGuire et al. 1975). Mainly based on this observation, it has been suggested that different kinds of endocrine treatment share the same ultimate mode of action (Rose 1982). However, in recent years it has been shown that different endocrine treatment modalities do not always show cross-resistance (Smith et al. 1982, Murray and Pitt 1982), suggesting different modes of action.
KeywordsNude Mouse Human Breast Cancer Endocrine Treatment Human Breast Carcinoma Amino Glutethimide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Christensen IJ, Hartmann NR, Keiding N, Larsen JK, Noer H, Vindeløv L (1978) Statistical analysis of DNA distributions from cell populations with partial synchrony. In: Lutz D (ed) Pulse-Cytometry, vol 3. Euroean Press Medicon, Ghent, p 71Google Scholar
- 4.McGuire WL, Carbone PP, Sears ME, Escher GC (1975) Estrogen receptors in human breast cancer: an overview. In: McGuire WL, Carbone PP, Volmer EP (eds) Estrogen receptors in human breast cancer. Raven New York, p 1Google Scholar
- 6.Miller WR, Hawkins RA, Forrest APM (1982) Significance of Aromastase Activity in Human Breast Cancer. Cancer Res (Suppl) 42:3365Google Scholar
- 7.Murray RML, Pitt P (1982) Aminoglutethimide in tamoxifen-resistant patients: The Melbourne experience. Cancer Res (Suppl) 42:3437Google Scholar
- 9.Perel E, Blackstein ME, Killinger DW (1982) Aromastase in human breast carcinoma. Cancer Res (Suppl) 42: 3369Google Scholar
- 11.Rose DP (1982) Postmenopausal oestrogen production and its inhibition. In: Stoll BA (ed) Endocrine relationships in breast cancer. Heinemann Medical, London, p 187Google Scholar
- 13.Smith IE, Harris AL, Morgan M, Gazet J-C, McKinna JA (1982) Tamoxifen versus aminoglutethimide versus combined tamoxifen and aminoglutethimide in the reatment of advanced breast carcinoma. Cancer Res (Suppl) 42:3430Google Scholar
- 16.Vindeløv L (1977) Flow microfluorometric analysis of nuclear DNA in cells from solid tumors and cell suspensions. Virchows Arch [Cell Pathol] 24:227Google Scholar
- 17.Vindeløv L, Christensen IJ, Keiding N, Spang-Thomsen M, Nissen NI (1983a) Long-term storage of samples for flow cytometric DNA analysis. Cytometry 3:31Google Scholar